WHAT'S THE MOST QUESTIONABLE EXPERIENCE YOU'VE HAD AT A PET SHOP / AQUARIUM?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

meezazee

Reaction score
So, this may be a bit of a random one, but has anyone had any weird / disappointing encounters at pet shops? The last handful of times I went into my local pet shop, I noticed a large amount of their fish were dead, so the last time I was there, I politely mentioned to them that I wanted some neons but it seems a large percentage of them are floating at the top and white, and the staff were very aggressive and told me that I was stupid to bring it up and obviously they already knew. Anyways, today I went into the shop again to get neons. When I got there, EVERY single fish along two long walls were dead (thousands of fish!!!) They told me that this is normal for pet shops and they said I could select anything from a different bay of fish on the other side of the shop, which had three loaches in a tank, one with a large wound. Anyways I got the loaches and asked for 5 bunches of live plants for a planted tank of mine and they told me this was a selfish request and that they couldn't sell me that much because they would need plants for all the other customers that may come in (mind you there was a 5 metre bay with hundreds of live plants there). Anyways, just wondering if anyone else has any weird stories about pet shops? Is this a common occurrence, or is my experience just an odd sock in the drawer ?
Or am I being unreasonable? I feel like I could make an exception if this is a small business, but this is a big pet shop.
P.S. If you haven't seen my other posts, this is the same pet shop that when I asked for fish that WOULDNT give birth, they gave me platies.

That is not what anyone should expect. A few dead fish are a result of shipping, but a good store will remove them. A bad store will too - it's just common sense.

Never, ever buy a wounded fish. It can be from tankmates, but an open sore can also be serious, communicable disease. If one fish in a tank doesn't look right, don't buy any. If the filtration is central and one tank is off, the whole store is to be avoided.

It's not you! So, don't doubt yourself. It was really weird behavior of those at the store. Yes, fish can also die at the store. But no, it's not normal that the dying is something continuous. If that's the usual behavior of the staff, I wouldn't even come back to them.

I truly do think that a lot of people had some weird experiences with an lfs.
A store that isn't around anymore used to feed those fish just twice a week (if those fish were lucky... ) and a lot of sick fish. A number would just stick to the inlet of the filter system, because they were that sick and they had not the strength to swim away from the inlet. And they still had the courage to ask the full price for those sick fish. And of the all the lfs's in our region, they were already the most expensive one.
And if you'd ask them why those fish weren't fed more often, the answer would be: We don't have time for that. Which was weird, for there were always more employees than customers on the floors. And I saw those employees frequently sitting at the bar, while costumers were around. You really needed to ask for their attention.
It was a real disappointment that their behavior had changed in customer unfriendly behavior. Because they have been a very big name in our country and were one of te best stores nationally. It seemed like as if they just didn't care anymore...

So, this may be a bit of a random one, but has anyone had any weird / disappointing encounters at pet shops? The last handful of times I went into my local pet shop, I noticed a large amount of their fish were dead, so the last time I was there, I politely mentioned to them that I wanted some neons but it seems a large percentage of them are floating at the top and white, and the staff were very aggressive and told me that I was stupid to bring it up and obviously they already knew. Anyways, today I went into the shop again to get neons. When I got there, EVERY single fish along two long walls were dead (thousands of fish!!!) They told me that this is normal for pet shops and they said I could select anything from a different bay of fish on the other side of the shop, which had three loaches in a tank, one with a large wound. Anyways I got the loaches and asked for 5 bunches of live plants for a planted tank of mine and they told me this was a selfish request and that they couldn't sell me that much because they would need plants for all the other customers that may come in (mind you there was a 5 metre bay with hundreds of live plants there). Anyways, just wondering if anyone else has any weird stories about pet shops? Is this a common occurrence, or is my experience just an odd sock in the drawer ?
Or am I being unreasonable? I feel like I could make an exception if this is a small business, but this is a big pet shop.
P.S. If you haven't seen my other posts, this is the same pet shop that when I asked for fish that WOULDNT give birth, they gave me platies.
Now that's just insane... Before I even buy a fish somewhere I look at the other fish in the tank to see if any are sick or dead. If I see either I don't buy.
Even if I just want a shrimp, snail, or plant. They could all carry diseases.

But there is one thing that store is right about. Deaths of fish is normal in shipping and after putting them in the tanks due to stress. But not like that.
After that experience I would not be going to that store ever again. I'd rather go to petsmart literally lol.

The way the store treated you was not fair at all either... You had every right to question the dead fish and they were just being jerks about it... AND THEEEN they complain that you are buying a lot of stuff?? That's weird, cause last time I checked don't stores want your money? 🤣.

I have a LFS near me and it isn't that good BUT at least the customer service is fairly ok.

If I was you I would find another store ASAP.

I have a few Karens at my local Petco and they always ask me my tank size, parameters, tankmates, etc. Then they try to force me to buy another product such as food, water conditioner, or freaking cage clips:dunno: And I will bring my bearded dragon in only to be asked if it's mine. I would like to add that I'm a "regular" at that Petco.
but it's always weird when one particular employee won't stop flirting with me. 😆 I don't have the heart to tell her I'm 14 :rofl:

I have a few Karens at my local Petco and they always ask me my tank size, parameters, tankmates, etc. Then they try to force me to buy another product such as food, water conditioner, or freaking cage clips:dunno: And I will bring my bearded dragon in only to be asked if it's mine. I would like to add that I'm a "regular" at that Petco.
but it's always weird when one particular employee won't stop flirting with me. 😆 I don't have the heart to tell her I'm 14 :rofl:
Lol... Are you sure its flirting or just trying to be a friend. It'll get you in a nice bit of trouble if your wrong...
(My friend swore to me this girl liked him... I told him he was wrong but uhhh... Yah I was right 🤣)

Lol... Are you sure its flirting or just trying to be a friend. It'll get you in a nice bit of trouble if your wrong...
(My friend swore to me this girl liked him... I told him he was wrong but uhhh... Yah I was right 🤣)
well, another employee did tell me that she talks about me, and she's been acting friendlier than usual. Not a romantic person myself but I think I can catch a hint. 😅

enough about me what's insane about you?

well, another employee did tell me that she talks about me, and she's been acting friendlier than usual. Not a romantic person myself but I think I can catch a hint. 😅

enough about me what's insane about you?
Hmm maybe she does. You should try to just get to know her. How old is she? You made it sound like she was a bit older than you.
Take a walk and let her do the talking. Of course that doesn't mean to not say anything. Just try to be her friend then.
Obviously if she works at a pet store she has some sort of love for animals so maybe that's a conversation starter.

What do you mean by "what's insane about you?"??? You have confusion me 😅

My thoughts are about whether she is a bearded dragon herself. She may be using you to get close to your buddy.

If you've been in this hobby for any length of time, you've seen bad stores. There still can be good things there. One of my most recent shop visits was to a mediocre national chain store. The fish catcher and I were talking and she realized I knew fish, so she told me not to shop where I was and to go to the really good independent store up the road. There are many good people in bad jobs.

I've met some really smart people in stores, including the ones who dragged me down to the local aquarium club, a positive game changer, and a grumpy clerk I started talking fish with 35 years ago, and who is still my best friend.

My thoughts are about whether she is a bearded dragon herself. She may be using you to get close to your buddy.

If you've been in this hobby for any length of time, you've seen bad stores. There still can be good things there. One of my most recent shop visits was to a mediocre national chain store. The fish catcher and I were talking and she realized I knew fish, so she told me not to shop where I was and to go to the really good independent store up the road. There are many good people in bad jobs.

I've met some really smart people in stores, including the ones who dragged me down to the local aquarium club, a positive game changer, and a grumpy clerk I started talking fish with 35 years ago, and who is still my best friend.
Very possible she might be @DragonScales+Doubletails...

this was kind of funny, i was ready to get the fish from the store, and the guy who got me the fish was not very knowledgeable (he was very nice and friendly and i do not blame him) he let me use the net to catch my own guppies, and gave me false juliis instead of green cories, and said that my pearl gouramis would get massive, i assume he thought they were kissing gouramis

When a know it all "aquatics manager" at petco told me my water was wrong for my fish (it wasn't, it was perfect for south American fish like i keep)
She did the test strips, looked at it without comparing to the chart, and told me that "your PH is too low," pointed to another spot (which is the ammonia) "and so is the alkalinity"

As if PH isnt the alkalinity. Proceeded to tell me that a PH less than 7 is the reason my new fish died and refused to give me the return.

Or the time i saw a 10 year old and his dad with a 10 gallon in their cart, being told that they could have 3 bala sharks in said tank, needless to say i stepped in at that point and the employee was furious

Or the time they couldnt figure out why all of their nerites and mystery snails all died, i asked if they treated the water with anything new, and they said "yeah we put copper in to kill the pest snails, but its only for pests we dont know why our good snails and our shrimp all died"

"I feel like I could make an exception if this is a small business, but this is a big pet shop."

That's a big part of the problem, IME, in the States, anyway...and I've heard similar stories from across the pond

Large chain stores = profit , period...the few LFS employees you happen to encounter that actually have knowledge about proper fishkeeping (or other pets) have ones of their own...the rest, eh, need a job....

Small pet stores ("mom & pop") = profit (of course), but 99% of the time, you'll find VERY knowledgeable shop owners/employees who actually care for the animals, want to see them go to good homes, and just don't have the big $ the box stores have to continually replace dead stock with live stock

I'm lucky to have one of those nearby, family-owned for as long as I can remember...fish selection is not bad, conditions so-so, but at least they know what they are doing, and will guide you...they sell reptiles & snakes, as well

I'd MUCH rather spend my $ there than the "Pet (slash)" box stores we have here

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back