Whats the light green stuff

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

I3eastmaster

Reaction score
Hello fellow fish keepers,

I'm quite new to the hobby, but currently have two 20L tanks running relatively successfully, one with some cherry shrimp and the 2nd with a betta. I'm now setting up a 63L which has been cycling for about a month by adding fishfood. Some life plants came in 2 weeks ago (Eleocharis parvulus / minima, Hydrocotyle tripartita sp. Japan, Anubias nana (and mini), Hygrophila difformis, Tiger Lotus Red (in bulb form), Cryptocoryne wendtii and Microsorium pteropus Windelov). I also stuck in a couple pieces of Peacock moss in the driftwood, but that was mostly intended for the shrimps.

I'm currently doing water changes on the weekend and dose "Easy-life profito" that I wanted to try as it is my first planted tank. The substrate is sifted all organic potting soil with simple river pebbles as a cap. If needed I can provide TDS and other water quality parameters. The plants seem to get settled in pretty well, I'm seeing root and new leaf growth

I was already seeing some diatom algea, but that was expected when setting up a new aquarium, though since about 3 days ago I started to see a light green/blue-ish tint on some of the pebbles in a corner of the aquarium (see first picture) and some thicker brown fluffy looking flakes (see 2nd picture), that I'm not sure how to identify. Can any of you help out as to what this is and what to do (if anything) about it?

Since last weekend, the aquarium houses 3 nerite snails and I was planning on adding 15~20 celestial pearl danios, third picture for a full view (yes, the glass is dirty)

Sincerely,
I3east

Attachments

• IMG_20220113_213653.jpg
    IMG_20220113_213653.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20220113_213538.jpg
    IMG_20220113_213538.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20220113_213203.jpg
    IMG_20220113_213203.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 67
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The green stuff is just algae, nothing to worry about. Add a few more live plants or reduce the light a bit and the algae won't be an issue.

Hi and thank you, happy to be here. Already read lots of interesting information.

Thank you for your reply regarding the algea. I'll see if I can add some more plants, as this aquarium is relatively close to a window, reducing the light, unfortunately is not really going to be an option.

Do you also have an idea as to the brow fluff? I'm also starting to see it lie on the anubia leaves, it doesn't seem to be attached at all, so i'd recon its not diatom algea?

Thats just common Algae, just get some Algae eaters like catfish, plecos, shrimp (if no fish would eat them).

I'll see if I can add some more plants, as this aquarium is relatively close to a window, reducing the light, unfortunately is not really going to be an option.
You can paint the back or cover with a black film. This will help reduce sunlight and may also reduce stress on the fish.
Part of this video shows one technique. It's a tank overhaul, but includes painting. If you can get to the back you should be able to do it in place.

You can paint the back or cover with a black film. This will help reduce sunlight and may also reduce stress on the fish.
Part of this video shows one technique. It's a tank overhaul, but includes painting. If you can get to the back you should be able to do it in place.

Thanks for the suggestion, the back of the aquarium is against the wall though, the sunlight is coming in at an angle trough the front panel and I'd prefer not to cover that one ;)

@ the others, thanks for clearing up its just brown algea, I'm going to try to plant it up a bit more :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back