What’s the lifespan of Cory cats? Anyone know?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So a species only tank would be best for longevity? Will pygmaes and habrosus be ok?

Wow! never realised Cories could live so long, I only have albino C. aeneus does this apply to albinos too? I was under the impression anything albino never has such a long lifespan as their non albino counter parts.

Hello :)
The life expectancy is 7 to 15 years depending on the size of the Corydoras.
A Corydoras aeneus lived 27 years !

This tickles my brain lol now I’m gonna ask everyone I come across…starting with elders lol while at it ask if I can have a sample of their water for my studies rofl

A little off topic but only slightly; if you really want a long lasting fish get a school of clown loaches. They should live at least 30 years and frequenlty 40 or 50. Though it is recommended that you start them young because well if you are already in your 40's or 50's they will likely outlive you.

Nah …I’m not looking for more. Thanks tho. I just wondered how long corys live to…I got them as babies…actually now come to thin about it..I was told 2 yrs back then 😳I just started wondering cuz well they’re still here lol

A little off topic but only slightly; if you really want a long lasting fish get a school of clown loaches. They should live at least 30 years and frequenlty 40 or 50. Though it is recommended that you start them young because well if you are already in your 40's or 50's they will likely outlive you.
And another recommendation is a tank of at least 1.50 - 2.00 meters. Most clown loaches are sold for 60 cm to 1metre tanks, so won't reach that age.

Just like @AbbeysDad mentioned it is all about husbandery, food, stress (enough sicial behaviour - good sized group), etc.......

For wild caughts it is the adaption to our water as well.

As if I’m suppose to be prepared that I may loose them to old age is what I thought I was being hint and warning about 🤷🏻‍♀️…now I gotta have this convo all over again with ppl in real life 😕

but yay I get to have them longer

And another recommendation is a tank of at least 1.50 - 2.00 meters. Most clown loaches are sold for 60 cm to 1metre tanks, so won't reach that age.
Thanks but no I’m not looking for more. Just wanna know how long corys can live up to. I don’t think my neighborhood market gets the double digit longevity 😑I’m gonna have to talk to folks around here and see how this batches did.

Well you can keep the small ones in a small tank for about 6 months. I have mine in a 120 4ftx2ftx2ft but next year they will be moved to a tank that is 10ftx3ftx2ft. I know i know they could use a larger tank but if they live that long i'll donate them to second harvest.

Like nearly all tropical fish, as Byron points out, with good nutrition and high quality water, Cory's can live 15-20 years.
However, sadly, most fish in the hobby don't make it that long. Inferior food, overfeeding, poor water quality... all take their toll to shorten life spans. :-(
So pygme Cory is more than 3 years??

and plaleatus is up to 16-40 years? Do they get bigger???

what about habrosus?

these can be handed down in the family if they live that long ?? Lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back