What's the craic from Ireland

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eirequarium

Reaction score
Hi
I'm from Ireland just starting my first tank a 30l Nano with a betta and unknown algae eater pleco. Have learned much from lurking around the forum already so thank you. I'm looking forward to learning more and giving my fish the best environment possible.

Welcome! Could you post a picture of the pleco so we can identify it for you? Most types get really large and will not be ok in your tank

Hi @JuiceBox52 i was concerned about that the lfs sold it to my wife when she went to get some plants etc. Here's a picture I have been trying to I'd but could not find anything that looked the same to my untrained eye.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_115853.jpg
    IMG_20200516_115853.jpg
    779.3 KB · Views: 92
I was hoping thats what it was but the pictures I found didn't seem quite the same. Thanks for the help

You're welcome. I hope someone will chime in with a second opinion before you take my word for it. Could you post a couple pics from other angles? Then I could probably tell you for sure.

BTW, Ireland is on my list of places to visit some day. It is very beautiful seen on approach to Glasgow, but I hear it's even better close up!

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Bettas aren't community fish and shouldn't be kept as such. If your betta starts to get aggressive with the algae eater, you may have to find another home for it. Good luck! :fish:

Ottos might be an exception to that. Ottos are a lot like mini plecos. They keep a pretty low profile, and they are armored too. My limited experience with male bettas is that they tend to ignore fish that are drastically different sizes and shapes. Have others found that?

Anyway, I think you could get away keeping a betta and an otto together. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they're getting along OK.

The only tank mate I would trust to live with a betta is a snail or maybe if your lucky shrimp. Betta are Siamese fighting fish, they do not get along with their own kind. Not even the females can live with them except for a very short period of time during breeding.

Thanks for all the advice. It wasn't my intention to get any tank mate for the betta but as I said my wife was sold it by the lfs when she went to get other stuff they were adamant that it would be no problem and it does seem to be OK so far after around 3 weeks. The betta did chase him in the beginning a bit but seems to ignore him mostly now. I will keep a close eye on things and return it if there looks to be a problem.

I disagree that bettas aren't community fish. It depends on the individual. Every single one of mine has been in a community and they do just fine. If he isn't bothering your other fish and doesn't seem bothered by its presence, then your all good. Just keep an eye on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back