What's the coolest and/or most useful aquarium related thing(s) you have bought.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

This product works pretty well.
NEPTONION Magnetic Aquarium Fish Tank Glass Algae scrapers Glass Cleaner Scrubber Clean Brush [Floating,Scratch-Free,Non-Slip,magnetizing]​

The most useful product I've brought is either my dechlorinator or my massive 4ft golden pothos, it's a pain to keep it in the tank but it is amazing at pulling out ammonia and nitrate

Turkey basters rock!!!!!! Best tool I have, most helpful, useful and efficient . Tank must have
I actually prefer the smaller sister pipet; even Mom approves:
b.jpg

A baster is great for retrieving pleco eggs and squirting them back into caves.

A long tweezer is great for planting and fishing out dead leaves.

Assorted algae cleaners including single edge razors.

Pumps for filling and emptying tanks.

And this one is no longer made by Marineland--> H.O.T. Magnum filter with the adapter that allows it to be converted into a tank vac. The water is returned to the tank. This allows me to vacuum planted tanks slowly and carefully and take as long as needed without removing any water from the tank.

My triple beam Ohaus scale. I have used or still use it to measure dry ferts for plants, ammonium chloride to feed my bio-farm when it is in use, medications in some cases, salt for blocking nitrite etc.

Bleach- for use on plants with algae, for cleaning used tanks, for sterilizing anything fish related that needs to be made safe (H tank and contents that did not save the patient).

1 and 3 ml disposable pipettes for liquid anything I need to measure- ammonia, liquid ferts, liquid meds, etc.

A metal icing spatuala I use to slip under the tail end of a small pleco I need to catch and which will not let go of the glass. Once I skip it under the body from the rear, I can flip it into the net without harming it. Young plecos are good at refusing to let go.

A big pile of old bath towels, bathmats and hand towels. Often used when I take out 10 gal. of water and then put back 15 (or more)........

But by far the most important piece of equipment here that is aquarium related is our whole house back-up generator. Extended power outages are common here. In 2011 and 2012 we had 13 days with no utility supplied electricity as the result of hurricanes. Since then outages have ranged from a few hours to a few days.

I still have a Magnum 350 that can be converted to a tank cleaner with the super micro pleated filter. And yeah, that is way cool

Substrate puffing and for delicate spot cleaning on sand/micro gravel around plants or ornaments or rocks where the usual substrate cleaner cannot reach

Sand needs to be puffed occasionally to release pockets of noxious gasses that form from detritus....the baster is perfect for that since you can fill it with aquarium water, poke under the sand surface and force the water in the baster out, thus puffing the sand, release the gas and detritus then use the baster to gently hoover the detritus up without upsetting the sand or fish

Brilliant piece of kit....also handy for feeding amphibians like Axies (and cleaning up after them)

If you have a very steady hand you can use them to suck up fry too and move the fry to somewhere safer like a breeding box/net.
I also use my turkey baster to draw out small amounts of water for testing or to thaw frozen foods.
After I do a water change, sand usually gets on the driftwood or plants. I use the baster to gently blow it off.

I got one of these oral medication syringes that people normally use to give medicine to a baby or a dog.
It's perfect for measuring out doses of liquid fertilizer or dechlorinator.

51w9YVTphIL.jpg

I use a syringe for things like testing and thawing food but a turkey baster for priming the filter and disrupting mulm/debris under objects in the tank so it's easier to vacuum up.

I have a 10 mL pipette I took from my lab. It’s perfect to measure 5 mL samples of tank water for API water testing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back