What's the big fuss with guppies and breeding true?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jimbo_natale4

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I breed my guppies all random and I see some awesome crosses, mix matches and traits...I don't have anything wrong with breeding true but why is it such a big deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's the same as any other animal bred by humans. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. Think about all of the different breeds of dogs/cats/rabbits/Guinea pigs etc. Dogs are sometimes different in that different breeds have been bred for different purposes, but there are plenty of people who don't purchase a dog to use it for that purpose; rather, because they like the look of it. As an example, some people prefer yellow Labradors to black or chocolate, but they only want that Labrador as a pet, not to use it for the purpose it was bred, and pick the yellow because they like the look of it. The same goes for guppies. People often prefer some colours to others, or sizes, or tail shapes. Sometimes people have a colour theme in their tank. Guppies are one of many fish bred to have bigger, frillier, more colourful fins. They look pretty. Breeding guppies of a particular colour is no different to breeding a particular coloured dog or cat.

That said, just as there are some lovely 'heinz 57' cats and dogs, there are some beautifully coloured guppies bred at random. But a lot of those colourful frilly guppies have been bred to be colourful and frilly somewhere along the way.

Personally I have yet to see a guppy I didn't think was pretty, randomly bred or otherwise. If you go to an LFS and see someone buying guppies from a tank of random colours, I bet they'll pick out which ones they want. I've done it myself!

For some species it is very important to keep it pure, namely fish that readily hybridise like Endlers crossing with guppies and many cichlid species interbreeding.
Many of the guppies that are breeding true to a particular colour strain or fin trait have literally taken years to establilsh (this is true for any species be it cattle/cats/dogs/shrimp), there will be many issues involved in trying to establish a breeding true species be it the odd throw back to another colour/ fin type and these undesired traits have to be culled from the breeding programs. Also with guppies there is the added problem of holding/ storing sperm by the females from previous matings. So any particular batch of babies could be from multiple males that the female had previously bred with. That is why breeders of particular strains will generally only breed a known quantity virgin female with a known quantity male, after her first breeding and subsequent fry drop that female may then be culled or only ever be kept with that one male for the rest of her breeding life.
As you can imagine the sheer scale of number of tanks needed, food quality, water quality, and time taken to sort sexes and pick the desired traits that goes into such a breeding exercise can run into the thousands of dollars mark.
The other reason to keep a species as pure as you can is if you breed say a guppy with an Endler there will be nothing wrong with the offspring but it is only fair and ethically correct to warn all potential future owners that the offspring are a mix not pure of either species. Unethical people may if say Endlers are the harder to get species pass off these mixed genetic fish as "pure" and the unwitting buyer then continues the falsehood of having "pure" endlers by accident. Shops may not even always pass on the genetic status of the fish they have purchased from members of the public, this is not always a deliberate ploy by the shops but an oversight because the one staff member who did know it was a hybrid didn't make the sale or was absent on the day of that particular sale.
Also by keeping a species (for this I am talking about rarer species than guppies) it is possible to re-introduce critically endangered species back into their natural habitat by using stocks that had been kept and bred pure in captivity. Even zoos are staring to have trouble ensuring that their breeding programs are keeping species true to form. I have heard of different orang-utan species being bred by accident in zoos, and it is even suspected that many of the tigers kept in zoos around the world are actually results of hybrids for example breeding a Bengal tiger with a Sumatran tiger. This was not necessarily done deliberately but by accident from when zoos used to send out their own trappers for zoo stock and people saw a stripey large cat which was close enough in markings and size to another stripey large cat from a similar country and just calling both big cats tigers.

For some species it is very important to keep it pure, namely fish that readily hybridise like Endlers crossing with guppies and many cichlid species interbreeding.
Many of the guppies that are breeding true to a particular colour strain or fin trait have literally taken years to establilsh (this is true for any species be it cattle/cats/dogs/shrimp), there will be many issues involved in trying to establish a breeding true species be it the odd throw back to another colour/ fin type and these undesired traits have to be culled from the breeding programs. Also with guppies there is the added problem of holding/ storing sperm by the females from previous matings. So any particular batch of babies could be from multiple males that the female had previously bred with. That is why breeders of particular strains will generally only breed a known quantity virgin female with a known quantity male, after her first breeding and subsequent fry drop that female may then be culled or only ever be kept with that one male for the rest of her breeding life.
As you can imagine the sheer scale of number of tanks needed, food quality, water quality, and time taken to sort sexes and pick the desired traits that goes into such a breeding exercise can run into the thousands of dollars mark.
The other reason to keep a species as pure as you can is if you breed say a guppy with an Endler there will be nothing wrong with the offspring but it is only fair and ethically correct to warn all potential future owners that the offspring are a mix not pure of either species. Unethical people may if say Endlers are the harder to get species pass off these mixed genetic fish as "pure" and the unwitting buyer then continues the falsehood of having "pure" endlers by accident. Shops may not even always pass on the genetic status of the fish they have purchased from members of the public, this is not always a deliberate ploy by the shops but an oversight because the one staff member who did know it was a hybrid didn't make the sale or was absent on the day of that particular sale.
Also by keeping a species (for this I am talking about rarer species than guppies) it is possible to re-introduce critically endangered species back into their natural habitat by using stocks that had been kept and bred pure in captivity. Even zoos are staring to have trouble ensuring that their breeding programs are keeping species true to form. I have heard of different orang-utan species being bred by accident in zoos, and it is even suspected that many of the tigers kept in zoos around the world are actually results of hybrids for example breeding a Bengal tiger with a Sumatran tiger. This was not necessarily done deliberately but by accident from when zoos used to send out their own trappers for zoo stock and people saw a stripey large cat which was close enough in markings and size to another stripey large cat from a similar country and just calling both big cats tigers.
You've got me thinking now. When I bought my guppies, there were a few little boys with yellow and orange that looked rather Endler-like to me. I asked the LFS person if it was possible that they were interbred, but he said something about them being a particular type of guppy. I didn't think he seemed to have any idea what he was talking about, but I really liked the look of those fish, so I bought one.

He's still so much smaller than all the other guppies. He has free access to all my females. I wonder now if I've immediately made a mess of everything, and will have lots of cross-bred guppyX endlers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If you don't mind them being a hybrid then that is fine, but if you sell any of the offspring you should warn people that they may be hybrid guppy x endler.
The reality of buying fish from pet shops is that because they invariably mix like with like it is near impossible to get a 100% pure wild type fish especially in the live bearers and even some catfish species. Almost all swordtails, guppys, endlers, platties, mollies and sailfins are mixes of different sub species. Meaning Mollies will be crossed with sailfins (and visa versa), guppies with endlers and swordtails with platties. Other hybrids that many people also do is gambusia x guppy. You can sometimes find particular species fanciers that do keep and breed pure strains of certain fish, never mixing them with closely related species to ensure the purity of their stock.
So basically if your happy with your fish, their colour/ look then ultimately its only you that needs to be happy and no need to be overly concerned with possible cross breeds.

Most reactions

Back