What's The Big Deal Anyway?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ny82

1 Woman Army ;)
Reaction score
So I am probably having a mid life crisis but whatever, just need to vent!

I was never taught how to ride a bike. It's never bothered me much until my friend found out and he now thinks it's the end of the world. Keeps saying I should learn and that it's great fun etc. 
I am too old to learn how to ride a bike now, it's too late.
My little one is almost 4 and she rides her bike with stabilisers. When she's ready, she will learn to balance and go. 
I now have about 3 or 4 friends who are setting up a campaign to teach me to ride a bike. Seriously? At this age? I will just fall and make a fool of myself.
But now it has me thinking, why is learning to ride a bike some sort of life skill? Am I the reject because I can't ride one lol. Is there anyone else who can't ride one?
This is why I am asking - why should I learn how to ride a bike? What's the big deal anyway?

I will try to persuade you to ride a bike:

To begin with, if you know how to ride a bike then you can teach your kids. There are few things more rewarding than watching your young ones learn to ride a bike after trying for weeks. My brother could not ride a bike but wanted his kids to be able to. This was 4-5 years ago now, anyway under my instruction they learnt to ride a bike in a little under a fortnight! o_O. After you know how to ride a bike you can be environmentally friendly. Bikes are squeaky clean for the environment. You can also ride with friends or your children. I was out for hours very weekend with my dad on my bike every weekend. Another reason is that it is loads faster and easier than walking or running once you learn how to ride a bike properly. It is also going to make you healthier. You will not regret learning to ride a bike. Please allow your friends to teach you, it's much easier than it looks. :)

I'm rubbish at riding bikes.  I have no sense of balance.
First time I rode a bike, I flew into a bush.
Second time, I got a massive scar on my knee that I bear to this day.
Third time, I broke my arm.
Fourth time, I skidded on a gravelly bend and lost a large portion of my shin on the road.

I can live without bikes :p

TallTree01 said:
I will try to persuade you to ride a bike:

To begin with, if you know how to ride a bike then you can teach your kids. There are few things more rewarding than watching your young ones learn to ride a bike after trying for weeks. My brother could not ride a bike but wanted his kids to be able to. This was 4-5 years ago now, anyway under my instruction they learnt to ride a bike in a little under a fortnight! o_O. After you know how to ride a bike you can be environmentally friendly. Bikes are squeaky clean for the environment. You can also ride with friends or your children. I was out for hours very weekend with my dad on my bike every weekend. Another reason is that it is loads faster and easier than walking or running once you learn how to ride a bike properly. It is also going to make you healthier. You will not regret learning to ride a bike. Please allow your friends to teach you, it's much easier than it looks.
smile.png

I am so proud of my little girl being able to get the hang of it! I do feel a bit useless not being able to teach her properly or go on bike rides with her.
I am a petrol head, I love my car, I love driving but since we moved, we walk a lot. Her nursery is just 10 mins away. Town centre the same distance, my car sits on the driveway most days unless it's torrential rain lol.
I suppose it's embarrassing, at my age, learning to ride a bike and falling all over the place.

daizeUK said:
I'm rubbish at riding bikes.  I have no sense of balance.
First time I rode a bike, I flew into a bush.
Second time, I got a massive scar on my knee that I bear to this day.
Third time, I broke my arm.
Fourth time, I skidded on a gravelly bend and lost a large portion of my shin on the road.

I can live without bikes
tongue2.gif

This is what I am afraid of. I used to do gymnastics my main event was the beam, so I would like to think I have a good sense of balance but that was over 10 years ago. It's just daunting but I don't want my little girl thinking i'm stupid because I can't ride a bike. She didn't know until her dad told her. That was uncalled for, she didn't need to know. 

Riding a bike is great for clearing the cobwebs on a fine day. Not bothered about riding in the rain tho - I'm very much a fair weather cyclist. Having said that my latest bike has the "wrong" sort of gears. I'm used to the lever sort and I now have the gripper ones that rotate around the handlebar. The first time I went out on it I managed to get down the hill but couldn't fathom out what to do with the gears to get up the other side and ended up walking it back home - oh the shame!
blush.png
 Anyway I haven't been out on it since tho I ought to think about it for all the reasons TT gave in his very eloquent plea in favour of learning to ride a bike.
Go on Ny - have a go - it can't do any harm can it?

I'm all for the rough weather, I deliberately ride out to the middle of nowhere right before a storm. Then it makes me feel like some kind of legend speeding back to my house at a million miles an hour in pouring rain! :cool:

burn-fat-not-oil.jpg

..... What the chimp says.

Having said all that, I'm absolutely useless at riding a bike but I can ride one... just about.  I sometimes enjoy cycling on a nature trail, somewhere flat where I can go at my own pace and not worry about traffic etc.  Last time we hired a pair of bikes with seats on the back for the kids and rode down a disused railway in the New Forest - that was lovely.

But I avoid riding on the road, I wobble like jelly whenever a car goes past :/

Road biking is no good at all, I used to but was sick of getting hit. Now I prefer the dirt burning beneath my tires.

Mamashack said:
Riding a bike is great for clearing the cobwebs on a fine day. Not bothered about riding in the rain tho - I'm very much a fair weather cyclist. Having said that my latest bike has the "wrong" sort of gears. I'm used to the lever sort and I now have the gripper ones that rotate around the handlebar. The first time I went out on it I managed to get down the hill but couldn't fathom out what to do with the gears to get up the other side and ended up walking it back home - oh the shame!
blush.png
 Anyway I haven't been out on it since tho I ought to think about it for all the reasons TT gave in his very eloquent plea in favour of learning to ride a bike.
Go on Ny - have a go - it can't do any harm can it?

I don't know. Can it? We will find out if I reply one day from A&E :/
TallTree01 said:
I'm all for the rough weather, I deliberately ride out to the middle of nowhere right before a storm. Then it makes me feel like some kind of legend speeding back to my house at a million miles an hour in pouring rain!
cool1.gif

burn-fat-not-oil.jpg

..... What the chimp says.

Hahahaha!

daizeUK said:
Having said all that, I'm absolutely useless at riding a bike but I can ride one... just about.  I sometimes enjoy cycling on a nature trail, somewhere flat where I can go at my own pace and not worry about traffic etc.  Last time we hired a pair of bikes with seats on the back for the kids and rode down a disused railway in the New Forest - that was lovely.

But I avoid riding on the road, I wobble like jelly whenever a car goes past
confused.gif
Aww that sounds nice :D Yeah riding a bike on the road is jumping the gun a bit. When i'm driving I hate when I see someone on a bike in front of me, they are all over the place and I have visions of them swerving to avoid something as I am pulling out to go around them and they crash into me. It's scary stuff, I hate cyclists on the roads. I don't see them, they appear out of nowhere.

I prefer cycling along tracks and such - tho some round here are quite isolated and I don't fancy going on my own, you never know who's lurking with intent! lol

Exactly. It's a shame that these days you can't do anything without thinking the worst. A few saturdays ago my friend and I decided to go for a walk along the country path near her house. It's a quite a walk and we didn't realise it was getting late and we were in the middle of nowhere. It was like the hills have eyes, me and her walking along in the wilderness then suddenly this man appears out of nowhere! We got the fright of our lives. Needless to say we wont be doing that again in a hurry!

I would say go for it Ny, I love getting out on the bike, you get such a sense of freedom. At least you can control a bike, whereas a horse, well, they have their own mind lol!

Plus I reckon your sense of balance would be great, and why keep saying at your age? You don't look that old? X

I actually know what would happen. I would buy a bike with the intentions of learning, then get frustrated that I can't do it because lets face it, nobody had time to teach me back then, who has time to teach me now? We all do our own thing. The bike would get put in the shed and never looked at again. 
How easy/difficult would it be for someone like me, who's never been on a bike before, to learn?

Shelster said:
I would say go for it Ny, I love getting out on the bike, you get such a sense of freedom. At least you can control a bike, whereas a horse, well, they have their own mind lol!

Plus I reckon your sense of balance would be great, and why keep saying at your age? You don't look that old? X

That pic was taken a few weeks ago. I am in my 30's 
blink.png

blush.png
 that's too old to learn to ride a bike, I am just like why? What's the point?

You can do almost anything if you put your mind to it.

Just think about when your little girl is a bit older, taking a picnic out on the bikes. Just have a vision in your mind and you'll get there, honestly I think you'll be surprised :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back