What's the best way to find an african dwarf frog from hiding?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jonatheber

Reaction score
This is probably a really stupid question....

I have (supposedly) two african dwarf frogs in a 46 gallon covered tank. There is basically no way for them to have escaped the tank - the only spot that isn't covered is where a standard size hang off the tank filter would hang (and now has two hoses from a canister filter hanging out of it - I put a picture on this post). I know we have to put food right near the frogs to teach them to eat in the tank (because they have horrible sight, right?) Problem is, I can't find the damn frogs in the tank. It is fairly well planted in the back, and has six ornaments in the front. Short of uprooting all the plants to see if they are hiding in the bottom of them, or moving all the rocks and ornaments (which could crush the frogs if they were under the rocks), is there a trick to finding out where the frogs are???

Attachments

• tank top.jpg
    tank top.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 263
Welcome to the forum. I recommend depth charges.
k4VJlG.gif

Just kidding. Short of removing the decor, I have no idea. I don't know much about dwarf frogs, but my wife used to have one and says he was nocturnal. Maybe sneak in and turn on the light at night, and watch where they go. I would't totally rule out an escape, either. Look carefully behind, under, and around your aquarium stand. But I can't think a fully aquatic frog would be inclined to take a walk.

These frogs can walk a fair distance. I had two in a tank I didn't think they could get out of. The tank was in our L shaped kitchen at one edge of the L. We kept a plastic box at the other end of the L where we collected the bottles, cans etc each day before taking them to the bigger boxes in the garage. One morning I picked up the box to take it out and there was a frog underneath it. Not only had it climbed out of the tank through the tiniest hole, but it had climbed/fallen from the worktop to the floor then crawled to the other end of the kitchen.

When frogs are kept in a tank with fish, they will hide. You see more natural behaviour if kept in a frog-only tank.

It's quite likely that they escaped. There is plenty of room around the filter.
If so, they won't last long outside of the water. If you cannot find them, try placing damp towels in corners and along the walls. The frogs will be seeking moisture.

I was lucky I found mine when I did as it was still alive. Thanks to some help from a member on here it survived.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back