Whats the best way to euthanize a fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

clambert122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I recently had a fish who decided to grow up and be a homicidal maniac.

I tried to rehome home him to another tank where he might feel more comfortable, but no one was willing to take him. After several dead fish, and watching him just brutally attack many other fish, I decided to remove him from the tank and give him the hammer.

It wasn't my preferred choice, but he was an A-hole. So, I quickly took him outside, and smashed him flat really hard with a big hammer. I know that sounds kind of brutal, but it seemed like the fastest and most efficient method by which to euthanize him as quickly and pain free as possible.

So, I recently had a fish who decided to grow up and be a homicidal maniac.

I tried to rehome home him to another tank where he might feel more comfortable, but no one was willing to take him. After several dead fish, and watching him just brutally attack many other fish, I decided to remove him from the tank and give him the hammer.

It wasn't my preferred choice, but he was an A-hole. So, I quickly took him outside, and smashed him flat really hard with a big hammer. I know that sounds kind of brutal, but it seemed like the fastest and most efficient method by which to euthanize him as quickly and pain free as possible.

You actually used the most humane method. A hard whack on the head kills a fish instantly, no pain, no slow torture, just instant death. This was set out in an article in PFK a couple years back that considered all the usual methods. When I have had to resort to euthanasia I net the fish out onto a wad of paper towels that I immediately fold completely around the fish, and then whack it. This is the quickest, with no mess (use enough paper toweling).

I have a Jack Dempsey that my son in law gave me because he had Jack Dempsey's and had a pair that were spawning every 10 days or so and the one that he gave me was eating the fry and trying to eat the ones that mom and dad were not protecting anymore. I tried to sell him on AquaBid but nobody wanted him. I need the tank for other fish. My daughter calls Cichlids "Asshole Fish" and I agree.

You actually used the most humane method. A hard whack on the head kills a fish instantly, no pain, no slow torture, just instant death. This was set out in an article in PFK a couple years back that considered all the usual methods. When I have had to resort to euthanasia I net the fish out onto a wad of paper towels that I immediately fold completely around the fish, and then whack it. This is the quickest, with no mess (use enough paper toweling).

I mean, that's what I do when I go fishing. But mostly because I don't have any better means. I know its a very very fast death, and probably only a millisecond of pain. I was just wondering if there was a less traumatic method that is painless.

I mean, that's what I do when I go fishing. But mostly because I don't have any better means. I know its a very very fast death, and probably only a millisecond of pain. I was just wondering if there was a less traumatic method that is painless.

No, there is not, according to the investigation reported in the article.

I will admit that I have flung fish very hard into the stainless steel sink resulting in instant death. I have also used oil of cloves where the fish just quickly gets lethargic and dies - I believe it to be stress free as there is no thrashing or other signs of distress. I WOULD NEVER, EVER flush, suffocate, or put a fish in the freezer! Although they may go into shock, it has to be a slow, cruel way to die....AND don't release in the wild no matter where you live as the potetial environmental impact is typically beyond our knowledge.

Footnote: Many of my culls go into the mini turtle pond (5' kiddie pool in the basement) where they either become turtle food or live out there life along with several fathead (baitshop) minnows.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back