What's the best option in your opinion for my 10g?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

What Stocking choice to you think is best for a standard 10g?

• 8 neon tetras, 1 (peaceful) Betta, 4 cherry shrimp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 Endlers livebears

• 8 ember tetras, 5 amano shrimp, 2 nerite snails

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • 1 Betta, 7-8 Endlers,

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 5 - 6 neon tetras, 4 Endlers

• None or other

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
10 gallons is a bit small for them as they need a minimum of 24 inches swimming length.

5 gallon planted (It's a horizontal tank) They are always out, very colorful, and don't run away when I approach the tank.

Last edited:
Personally I would move them to the 10gallon tank, as the 5gallon is far too small. I have kept 10 neon tetras in my 10gallon, but in the 2 years of having them, they did die off one by one over time. I put this down to the fact that the general health of most neon tetras that are bought in stores, is not great these days, but the size of my tank could of been a factor in. I would take into consideration what has been mentioned from Essjay and get a tank bigger than 10gallon if you can. As with most fish, the bigger the tank they can live in, the better

Ideally you need at least 10 neons, with more being better but even a 10 gallon is too small for this number, as well as not having enough swimming room. But 10 gallons is better than 5.

Ok great. I did get them because some sources (KGTropicals) say that you can keep 5-6 neons in a 5 gallon with no troubles, but I will be sure to move them into the 10 gallon.

Always ignore what anyone selling fish says, they want your money and usually don't care about the fish. We should always research before making a purchase. Seriously Fish is the best site for research.

The old recommendation is 6 individuals of a schooling species but recent research has shown that in numbers less than 10 the fish show signs of stress.
And with neons you want more than ten. When the light is just right and you see a good sized group of them swimming together, they look spectacular.

I got to have a perspective on this. I had bought a dozen neons in February. All but two died off. And then one of them died off and I was down to just one. (These were the first fish I ever put in this tank so I didn't quarantine). I bought 11 more but kept these ones in quarantine to make sure they were ok and whatever killed the ones in the main tank had run its course. After I was able to put them all together, it was something else. Just a few are pretty but it's no comparison to a good sized school.

And I just wanted something for my 5 gallon that would make some movement in the tank. I did not as much about fish, and I didn't have any true nano fish near me, like chili rasboras, so I got the neons. Luckily they do all seem healthy, they are always out and very colorful, and don't hide when I approach the tank. That's not to say they aren't stressed though. Thank you everyone for the help!

And I just wanted something for my 5 gallon that would make some movement in the tank. I did not as much about fish, and I didn't have any true nano fish near me, like chili rasboras, so I got the neons. Luckily they do all seem healthy, they are always out and very colorful, and don't hide when I approach the tank. That's not to say they aren't stressed though. Thank you everyone for the help!
If you are unable to get a bigger tank than the 10gal you already have, then moving the neons to the 10gal and increasing their numbers to 10, with plenty of live plants and a 50% water change every 7 days, they should do well.

As for your 5gal tank, i’m assuming this would then have no fish in it, if you moved the neons to the 10gal. If thats the case, then I would use the 5gal for your betta only, thats assuming he is currently in another tank with other fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back