What's on my cory??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

azvictoria

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What is this??? I just saw it on my cory - can't tell if it was on the gill or pectoral fin. It fell off when I put her into an isolation tank. Not treating with anything at this point. It's really big, was curled up around the fin and now stretched out it's 1/2 inch long. The little nobs on the right are moving. Taken using a magnifying glass. The fish is swimming, eating.

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 65
Can you get a video?
The thing broke or fell off when I netted the fish. I was able to get it out of the water, but no video of it. I can send a video of the fish now - seems pretty normal though not happy in a tank alone. Breathing fine, swimming, not bloated. When the parasite fell off, the area was pink (not bloody) but looks much calmer now. My concern is that there's some root left.

The thing broke or fell off when I netted the fish. I was able to get it out of the water, but no video of it. I can send a video of the fish now - seems pretty normal though not happy in a tank alone. Breathing fine, swimming, not bloated. When the parasite fell off, the area was pink (not bloody) but looks much calmer now. My concern is that there's some root left.
I wanted to see the parasite (or whatever it was) moving around...I'd get the cory back into the main tank

Couldn't it simply be "something" that was caught between gill / fin while scavaging.

I put the cory back in the main tank. Keeping it clean, partial water changes daily to prevent infection. The wound is definitely not in the gill, above the fin and seems to be ok. She's not gasping, is cruising around, although not as zippy as normal. I'd imagine there's some discomfort. It looks to be healing ok - from pink to white-ish. She's also eating and hanging out in her favorite plants like normal. Other fish are hanging out with her like nothing's wrong. It was freaky looking - the two ends were stretching out almost like snail parts - it was definitely alive. I'd never had problems with parasites before getting new nerites a month ago. She's an egg-laying 7 year old, fingers crossed there aren't any more issues, I've surely been fooled before.

Couldn't it simply be "something" that was caught between gill / fin while scavaging.
I have no idea. None of the other fish have issues, but I recently lost an angel to internal worms. Got rid of them in a hospital tank, but it never ate again. All from a batch of nerites. Has a snail egg ever infected a fish? It sure looked snail-ish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back