What's needed for a nursery tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

david.molloy2009

Reaction score
I had given up on them but one of my platys have eventually given birth. I am the proud father of at least 10 babies.
When I was netting them out I also netted 3 baby cherry shrimps.

I wanna try and keep them, grow them etc.

What do I need for a BASIC nursery tank.

I just need the bare minimum for speed then I will add to it as soon as I can for a full setup
20210724_214632.jpg

Time is of the essence as I have them in a plastic tub at the moment which is NOT ideal and wanna get them set up tomorrow if possible

Tank, sponge filter, heater, substrate, live plants, and light.

That’s pretty much all you need is the basics.

I used plastic storage containers for rearing tanks. Just add the things Phoenix suggested (air operated sponge filter, heater if required, a thin layer of sand or gravel on he bottom, pants if you like, cover to reduce evaporation).

---------------------
If you have a number of adult platies and they are not producing many young, they could be infected with intestinal worms. See section 3 of the following link for treating fish with intestinal worms.

Make sure you have lots of plants in the tank with the adults so the babies have more hiding places.

Feed the adults 3 times a day while they are gravid (pregnant) and when they are due to have the babies so they are less likely to eat the young.
Do extra water changes when feeding more often to keep the tank clean.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

---------------------
Try not to use nets to lift out gravid females or young babies (less than 1 month old). The babies can be injured if they are lifted out of water. Use a cup or plastic container to scoop the young out.

Gravid females should be left in the main tank. If you have to move a gravid female, carefully catch them in a net (avoid chasing them around) and while they are in the net, put a plastic container under the net and lift the female up in the net in the bucket of water.

I used plastic storage containers for rearing tanks. Just add the things Phoenix suggested (air operated sponge filter, heater if required, a thin layer of sand or gravel on he bottom, pants if you like, cover to reduce evaporation).

---------------------
If you have a number of adult platies and they are not producing many young, they could be infected with intestinal worms. See section 3 of the following link for treating fish with intestinal worms.

Make sure you have lots of plants in the tank with the adults so the babies have more hiding places.

Feed the adults 3 times a day while they are gravid (pregnant) and when they are due to have the babies so they are less likely to eat the young.
Do extra water changes when feeding more often to keep the tank clean.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

---------------------
Try not to use nets to lift out gravid females or young babies (less than 1 month old). The babies can be injured if they are lifted out of water. Use a cup or plastic container to scoop the young out.

Gravid females should be left in the main tank. If you have to move a gravid female, carefully catch them in a net (avoid chasing them around) and while they are in the net, put a plastic container under the net and lift the female up in the net in the bucket of water.
Thanks. Loads of useful info there.

Definitely add some dense plants for the fry to hide in. Anacharis, Java miss, frogbit, etc.

put a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure

Most reactions

Back