What's Killing Off My Platies?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alexpb22

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought some platies a while ago, some red and some speckled yellow ones.

After a few weeks, one of the yellow ones I noticed was getting thinner and thinner and eventually had quite a sunken belly. Eventually he died and then shortly afterwards another yellow one started showing the same symptoms. He also went the same way and this happened with all my yellow platies.

It's been a couple of weeks but now one of my red platies is going the same way and I know that this is going to eventually happen to all of them.

Does anyone know what this could be as I suspect it could be fairly common?

I thought it could be a worm but I can't see any and I would have thought that multiple fish would be affected rather than one at a time.

Sounds like an internal protozoan, or maybe internal parasites. I barely have any info on either of those, though. :(

It could also be bacterial, you may have to treaty with an anti bacterial and anti parasite treatment.
Doyou have hard or soft water? Years and years ago before i knew anything of water quality i has a group of guppys in soft water with new redmoor adding to the water quality they all went the way of your fish!

LyraGuppi said:
Sounds like an internal protozoan, or maybe internal parasites. I barely have any info on either of those, though. :(

nic1 said:
It could also be bacterial, you may have to treaty with an anti bacterial and anti parasite treatment.
Doyou have hard or soft water? Years and years ago before i knew anything of water quality i has a group of guppys in soft water with new redmoor adding to the water quality they all went the way of your fish!
Thanks for your help. I thought it may be cannallanus worms so was going to buy a treatment for it. Haven't seen any worms but a bit of research has suggested it.

I live in a hard water area. The platy died overnight but I have four left which will def go the same way unless I fix this. I've already lost four.

Any med recommendations and presumably I can treat the whole tank?

Yes you can and will have to treat the while tank, you can use Sera netamol, it'sa bit pricey but does the trick, you can get it from Amazon as its quite difficult to find in the stores. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
... Whole tank,

nic1 said:
Yes you can and will have to treat the while tank, you can use Sera netamol, it'sa bit pricey but does the trick, you can get it from Amazon as its quite difficult to find in the stores. Good luck and let us know how you get on.... Whole tank,
Thanks for that, that's great as that was the one I had also thought would be right

Do you have hard water? Platies need to live in hard water, they need the dissolved minerals in the water. If you have soft water, this would be my guess as to why the platies are going.

the_lock_man said:
Do you have hard water? Platies need to live in hard water, they need the dissolved minerals in the water. If you have soft water, this would be my guess as to why the platies are going.
Yes it's hard water

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back