Whats in your "OH SH*T!" kit?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

clambert122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What do you guys generally try and keep on hand for your oh crap moments?

Especially for larger more expensive tanks that you might not just be able to run out to your local store and get easily.

I keep Ick-X on hand.
I was planning to get a second pump and heater spare to keep on hand for if one or the other fails.
I dont have a battery back up yet, but I plan to get one sometime soon.

What else?

Spare heater, spare impeller shafts for the filters (mine are ceramic and break easily) and carbon, just in case anything gets into the tank. I don't keep any medication because they have a use by date and will probably go off before I need them.

Trio of meds (from Aquarium Co-op), spare heater, spare HOB filter, Seachem Prime, spare tank in case emergency QT/hospital tank needed. Also spare intake filter sponges.

I do have a bottle of water conditioner, but that's opened and in use. I always buy a new one before I run out. Same for the plant fertiliser.

I would like to have a spare heater for all my tanks...

I have a spare filter, a spare air pump, and at least 1g of clean de-chlorinated water for emergencies.

Fresh water. I use RO which could take hours to fill so I always have enough to do 2x100% changes on my largest tank.
That's all. I already have 2 heaters in each of my 4 tanks and I have an unused airpump that I can use for circulation if a pump or filter fails. Not too worried about that because I have enough plants that ammonia would never be a problem if a filter fails.

A 10 gallon plastic tub to use as a quarantine/hospital tank. A supplemental air pump driven sponge filter running in one of my tanks. In those tanks I also have HOB filters. Then when I need to set up a hospital or quarantine tank in a hurry, I move a sponge filter to the hospital tank..instant cycle!

I'd probably add battery powered air pump to the list, depending on how reliable power is by you. We get a lot of power outages here, so having a cycled sponge filter that can have the air supply swapped out could mean difference between life and death for the tank. Also in the same vein growing a pile of hornwort or some other pond plant in a bucket in the corner of the bathroom may make for a good emergency filter supplement/fry hide/sick fish destressor environment when setting up a QT or otherwise.

[[[[[
Fresh water. I use RO which could take hours to fill so I always have enough to do 2x100% changes on my largest tank.
That's all. I already have 2 heaters in each of my 4 tanks and I have an unused airpump that I can use for circulation if a pump or filter fails. Not too worried about that because I have enough plants that ammonia would never be a problem if a filter fails.

Mines a 150 gallon tank. Im pretty sure my SO would kill me if I tried to store 300 gallons of water around the house. :)

Just wait if you end up having kids - my toddler is obsessed with water in every form and quantity, and we learned VERY QUICKLY that tanks must be covered tightly and no water change water must be left out in any amount, ever. Lol

I have a medication kit with Kanaplex, Furan-2, General Cure, and Fungus Cure. I keep aquarium salt, epsom salt, methylene blue, Garlic Guard, multiple heaters, air pumps, sponge filters, tubing, and extra hob filters. I have several empty tanks, various sizes and a large plastic tote for pond fish. Sounds like a lot but with a fish room, it all gets used. Oh, also have battery air pumps because I live on the Gulf Coast.

I have the NT Labs paramedic kit for dealing with lesions. Separate to this I always have to hand the full Waterlife product range, Seachem Garlic Guard for finicky eaters, Metronidazole, Kanaplex, plenty of bog standard dechlorinator, zeolite alfagrog filtration media and two empty tanks each with their own filter and heater and which are big enough to accommodate my largest fish which is a 60cm koi.

Other items include aquarium wool, backup heaters and external filters.

I have a medication kit with Kanaplex, Furan-2, General Cure, and Fungus Cure. I keep aquarium salt, epsom salt, methylene blue, Garlic Guard, multiple heaters, air pumps, sponge filters, tubing, and extra hob filters. I have several empty tanks, various sizes and a large plastic tote for pond fish. Sounds like a lot but with a fish room, it all gets used. Oh, also have battery air pumps because I live on the Gulf Coast.
"Oh, also have battery air pumps because I live on the Gulf Coast."

Same here, last summer was not fun...evacuated for Laura, no power at my house for 6 days...lost a good amount of fish, but those air pumps saved many of them, as well

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back