What's Happening To My Guppy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
When did you finish using the med.
His organs could of packed in if you havent seen him going to the toilet.
Sadly you done all you can.
If I was you I would think of maybe end his suffering if you think he's in a bad way.

The last dose of the Anti Internal Bacteria med was 6 days ago - the instrustions say I can add another dose after a week so I'm thinking I may try one more dose... :unsure:

I know I've done what I can but he seems so content - he's eating and swimming normally, he's not hanging around at the surface or struggling to swim... :sad:

If he does become distressed and it is kinder to put him out of his misery - how do I do it??? :-(

If you can issolate him you can double dose on the internal bacteria med.
Or phone a vet for some antibiotics but antibiotics wipe the beneifcal bacteria out in the filter.
So antibiotics should only used in issolation.

I was hoping it wouldn't come to this but I don't think it's fair to let the little guy suffer any more... :-(

What's clove oil, where do I buy it and how do I use it??? ????

Not sure maybe a chemist.
This is the best method I use.
Get a jug of very cold water and add ice cubes till the water freezing cold.
Or add the jug of water to the freezer till you can see a thin sheet of ice.
place the fish in the freezing cold water it should take about 30 seconds for the fish to die.
Leave the fish awhile to make sure its passed on.
Check the gills are no longer moving.

Not sure maybe a chemist.
This is the best method I use.
Get a jug of very cold water and add ice cubes till the water freezing cold.
Or add the jug of water to the freezer till you can see a thin sheet of ice.
place the fish in the freezing cold water it should take about 30 seconds for the fish to die.
Leave the fish awhile to make sure its passed on.
Check the gills are no longer moving.

Is that painful for the fish?? :unsure:

I didn't really know of the most humane way to do it...?

If I fridge cool the water for a long while and then add a heap of ice cubes would that be ok??

Aww - I feel awful about this... :-(

Written by steelhealr.

This is what I choose to do with my fish and my comments are only placed here as opinion. This is a heated topic. I choose based on my knowledge from my training:

Oil of cloves is a topical anethestic and was used in the past to treat toothaches. Lidocaine (like at the dentist's office is a topical anesthetic as well). When we operate on people we really want to achieve 2 things, analgesia and anesthesia, that is, relief of pain and unconsciousness. IMO, when a fish is immersed in oil of cloves, it is essentially 'topically anesthetized', paralyzed, but, I am NOT convinced that the fish is unconscious.....none of us will really know for sure. We don't know if the oil of cloves causes stinging to the mucus membranes, eyes, etc on initial contact nor if the fish is motionless, painless but aware.

Extreme cold is an anesthetic. When applied to skin, you can actually cut the skin and feel no pain. Cold also can cause rapid unconsciousness. In fact, hypothermia is reported to cause a state of euphoria and clouding of consciousness. Fish, at least most of the types that we keep (tropical), are extremely small and rapid immersion in extreme cold water, in my opinion, causes rapid pain relief and rapid unconsciousness. I have never seen any of my fish shows signs of what I consider suffering. They stop moving immediately and appear lifeless. Some have stated that since fish are ectothermic, this doesn't apply....perhaps in cold water fish I would agree.

I choose to euthanize my fish this way, rather than oil of cloves. One must either make an educated decision for themselves, or, choose what is currently accepted by the masses as what is humane.

Added: although I would never use blunt force to euthanize my fish, nor advocate it, one fact is for sure: death is instantaneous

SH

Ok that's what I'll do then...

I'll have to do it when my son is in bed later though...:(

I honestly thought he was going to be ok. :-(

Sorry, fish keeping does have it downside.
Know how you feel and telling young children that there loved pets are ill not nice.

My son is only 4 so I'll probably get away with telling him that he's gone to live at the fishy hospital - he knows Blueberry's been poorly so I suppose it won't be a major shock for him!

I'll post when it's done - thanks so much for all your help over the past couple of weeks! :flowers:

Hello AmyStardust I am so sorry things have come to this, poor old Blueberry I have been following this thread for a little while and have been hoping things would get better for him. I do know with Wilder's help you have done everything possible.

regards Ian

Just to let everyone know that Blueberry is now part of the ocean in the sky... :(

He was getting more and more distressed as the day went on today so we put the little guy out of his misery by putting him in freezing cold water - Wilder was right, it seemed instant and I left him in there for a good 5 mins to ensure he'd pass away completely... :-(

Thanks to everyone that tried to help me save him - especially Wilder! :good:

RIP Blueberry... :rip:

Ok bless him such a shame.
R.I.P.
I had to put my beloved tweety down he was a fancy goldifsh and loved him to bits.
Worst thing I ever had to do.
You tryed your best and tha'ts all you can do.

Yeah it is hard, I didn't think I'd ever get so attached to a fish to be honest! Lol! :blush:

It was so sad but at least I know I did everything I could of to try to save him... -_-

The others all seem to be in good health so here's to hoping I don't have to do all this again any time soon!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back