What’s growing on my Java moss?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bettas4me

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought some Java moss attached to coconut shell at my LFS. I put it in a tank to quarantine before putting it in the tank where I intend for it to stay. I noticed every morning it has little white spots on it. After the light is turned on for an hour or so the white spots disappear. Any idea what this could be?

I bought some Java moss attached to coconut shell at my LFS. I put it in a tank to quarantine before putting it in the tank where I intend for it to stay. I noticed every morning it has little white spots on it. After the light is turned on for an hour or so the white spots disappear. Any idea what this could be?
B394A9FA-D819-47C0-BE97-DCFF35C5A8EA.jpeg

Attachments

• 9FF933C7-C8A1-4A70-84A1-9D74C68F24DF.jpeg
    9FF933C7-C8A1-4A70-84A1-9D74C68F24DF.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 4D59EF08-F848-4038-95BF-177F9B468189.jpeg
    4D59EF08-F848-4038-95BF-177F9B468189.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 48
I was going to say it looks like it is rotting and the white stuff is fungus. But if the white stuff disappears after the lights have come on, then it isn't fungus.

I don't know what it is but it's really interesting, at least to me it is. It's probably not interesting for you tho :)

I would take some into a biology lab at a university or high school and see if anyone knows what it is. If you have a microscope you could put a few bits under that. It might be a worm or something else that is producing the white strands. You got aliens in your tank :)

I can see the mono line used to tie down the moss. Maybe the white stuff is super glue also used to hold the moss? But the goes away I can't explain.

It is interesting to me but I do want to get rid of it. I thought it was some kind of fungus too until I noticed it was going away after the lights were turned on. It’s actually disappearing sooner than an hour. Maybe as soon as 15 minutes after the lights are turned on. Any suggestions on what to do to get rid of it. Maybe a hydrogen peroxide or bleach dip and quarantine it from the quarantine tank now! 😂

You could try peroxide or bleach dip. But take a small sample to send to a lab first!!

I would try to find out what it is before trying to kill it. You could have something new to science that needs investigating. Leave it in its own tank and get some pictures off to biology labs and museums. Try to find out what it is.

You could try peroxide or bleach dip. But take a small sample to send to a lab first!!
Mosses almost never survive any of those.

I would take it out and put it in a container or a glass jar, leave it on a windowsill and watch. Better than to have it in a fishtank

Probably fungus because the coconut shell isnt fully cured.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back