Whats easiest substrate to grow grass in?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

I have tried growing some grass which was short haird gras however nothing has happened, not sure why. It was layed onto mineral rock wool which was the substrate used for a plant I used to have int he aquarium.I was wondering is there a material I can put into the bottom of a one gallon aquarium that will make it look like a blanket of grass? Thanks in advance.

Hi was it dwarf hair grass? I grow mine in tropica aquarium soil with ferts and Co2 but it is possible to do it in sand with root tabs - I would recommend a liquid fert too thouhg.

For carpeting plants I prefer the in-vitro style pots you get a lot more for your money and you dont have to un-tangle the rock wool which is difficult on small plants like hairgrass.

Wills

Get a active substrate like a floruite or a ADA amazonia substrate this should help.

Get a active substrate like a floruite or a ADA amazonia substrate this should help.
If I gorw it in these, will the roots to the plants hold together the substrate so that when I for example, carry the aquarium to the toilet for a water change, it will hold together? Will the ramshorn snails eat the seeds do you know?

If I gorw it in these, will the roots to the plants hold together the substrate so that when I for example, carry the aquarium to the toilet for a water change, it will hold together? Will the ramshorn snails eat the seeds do you know?
sorry no idea, I don't have snails but maybe use a tube and run that to the toilet so you don't have to tilt the aquarium.

sorry no idea, I don't have snails but maybe use a tube and run that to the toilet so you don't have to tilt the aquarium.

Oh the aquarium has a tap on it, it was originally a drinks dispenser. I however first pour water into a bottle so I can check if snails have gone into it, we would not want a infestation of ramshorn snails in the toilet or drainways lol..

Oh the aquarium has a tap on it, it was originally a drinks dispenser. I however first pour water into a bottle so I can check if snails have gone into it, we would not want a infestation of ramshorn snails in the toilet or drainways lol..
Then the substrates should be fine

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back