What’s better for my bio load ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Iv been half heartedly trying to rehome my silver dollars , no rush just changed my mind on them and slowly looking to move them on . Iv been offered a swap of a snowball pleco for the 5 , money comparison doesn’t really interest me but the bio load does main reason for getting rid of them is they are greedy and very waste full and feel my tank would sit a lot lower no3 without them but would adding a snowball be just as bad ? Surely one pleco isn’t as bad as 5 silver dollars ? And also I have a green phantom pleco , would they fight ?

Iv been half heartedly trying to rehome my silver dollars , no rush just changed my mind on them and slowly looking to move them on . Iv been offered a swap of a snowball pleco for the 5 , money comparison doesn’t really interest me but the bio load does main reason for getting rid of them is they are greedy and very waste full and feel my tank would sit a lot lower no3 without them but would adding a snowball be just as bad ? Surely one pleco isn’t as bad as 5 silver dollars ? And also I have a green phantom pleco , would they fight ?
How big is the tank?
The Snowball sounds like a reasonable swap, but I'm totally guessing here, because apart from the mention of ammonia in your tank, we don't know anything about your pH or hardness.

Having a tank that 'would sit a lot lower no3' doesn't sound appropriate, regardless of the fish in it...your ammonia readings should ALWAYS be zero.
This is non-negotiable for reasonable fish care. ;)
If you've been getting ammonia in your tank with the silver dollars, you're likely to continue to get ammonia readings with any fish, until you actively address the cause;
Overfeeding?
Poor cleaning?
Un-cycled tank?
Lack of live, thriving plants?
Etc..

How big is the tank?
The Snowball sounds like a reasonable swap, but I'm totally guessing here, because apart from the mention of ammonia in your tank, we don't know anything about your pH or hardness.

Having a tank that 'would sit a lot lower no3' doesn't sound appropriate, regardless of the fish in it...your ammonia readings should ALWAYS be zero.
This is non-negotiable for reasonable fish care. ;)
If you've been getting ammonia in your tank with the silver dollars, you're likely to continue to get ammonia readings with any fish, until you actively address the cause;
Overfeeding?
Poor cleaning?
Un-cycled tank?
Lack of live, thriving plants?
Etc..
Thank is 5ft 500l
Ph 6.5
Gh 110ppm
kh 40ppm
No3 20ppm
No2 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
Tank is well established only issue I get is after 7 days no3 is 60ppm
Due to what would say is no live plants in the tank and fully stocked and heaven feeding , I can’t see a down side to the swap but I’m not sure if the pleco bio load is actually less than the silver dollars once fully grown

My apologies...I read NH3 and NOT NO3. :oops:
Obviously, there's a significant difference.
Floating plants would sort that out nicely. ;)
I was having good success with hornwort for a while until my Severum hit maturity then it all got eaten , I’m doing well with a monstera that I’m root floating they seem to leave it alone so will get a few more in the future , looking at the full size of a snowball pleco 6inchs and the joint size of 5 silver dollars 30inchs I think the swap could also help with no3 I do have a green phantom pleco tho not sure if they get territorial

I don't think it would out weigh the dollars on waste issues but they are known to be pretty reclusive so just make sure you are ok with that before you get it. I have to admit as much as I love some plecos I'm very reluctant to get one again - though maybe some BN's for a bit of help with cleaning.

Wills

I think the bio load would certainly be less with the pleco and with your tank being a 5ft 500ltr surely that would be plenty space for 2 plecos which grow no bigger than 10"

Im sadly thinking of re-homing some fish. How have you gone about rehoming your silver dollars if you dont mind me asking?

I think the bio load would certainly be less with the pleco and with your tank being a 5ft 500ltr surely that would be plenty space for 2 plecos which grow no bigger than 10"

Im sadly thinking of re-homing some fish. How have you gone about rehoming your silver dollars if you dont mind me asking?
Depending on the fish I need gone I have different people I use , with the silver dollars Im in no rush to get rid of them they are no trouble it’s just I’m not 100% happy with them , I’m lucky enough to be part of a fish sale WhatsApp group in my area with around 100 members all within a 50mile so I just ask the question here and there what people are offering

I don't think it would out weigh the dollars on waste issues but they are known to be pretty reclusive so just make sure you are ok with that before you get it. I have to admit as much as I love some plecos I'm very reluctant to get one again - though maybe some BN's for a bit of help with cleaning.

Wills
In fairness reclusive would suit at the moment , my tank is looking a little full for me personally and the silver dollars would free up a lot of swim space , I’d ideally like to swap them for more Colombian tetra but can’t seem to find any a good enough size that are willing to swap I could hold out for cash and just buy some the dollars only owe me £20 for the 5 so could easily profit on them

Depending on the fish I need gone I have different people I use , with the silver dollars Im in no rush to get rid of them they are no trouble it’s just I’m not 100% happy with them , I’m lucky enough to be part of a fish sale WhatsApp group in my area with around 100 members all within a 50mile so I just ask the question here and there what people are offering
Not 100% on rehoming mine yet because im quiet attached but i live between a fair few maidenheads and Ripples stores so i would start there then maybe start looking on the groups like your using if i had no luck.

Have you tried your LFS to see if you could trade your dollars for some Colombian tetra or at least some store credit towards some

Not 100% on rehoming mine yet because im quiet attached but i live between a fair few maidenheads and Ripples stores so i would start there then maybe start looking on the groups like your using if i had no luck.

Have you tried your LFS to see if you could trade your dollars for some Colombian tetra or at least some store credit towards some
I hadn’t thought of that to be fair I know one of my local pets at home have some Colombians in just not it’s they have a tank For 5 big chunky silver dollars but worth an ask

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back