What's Best To Use For Treating Fin Rot?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Amberleaf

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ontario, Canada (If you want to know my city you'r
Okay, so, the females in my Mom's tank have fin rot, and nothing I do really seems to be treating it.... I was putting Maracyn (the one that comes in packets) and Bettafix. I treated every few days, but today my Mom did a MAJOR water change, because it was really dirty before. Will the Maracyn and Bettafix be enough, or.... Because at first only one fish had it, but now all three Bettas do and I'm just wondering....
Tank size: around 8 to 10 gallons (Mom said that there is no WAY that her tank is as big as mine, but I'm not so sure given that my teacher's tank is a 10-gal and looks like hers - his is a bit flatter and longer than mine and so is hers)
Fish: one danio (not sure which kind) & three Bettas
Average temp.: Idk, around 75 to 80 F or so

I'm too tired to remember anything else.... But my mom uses gravel on the bottom of the tank, also.

keep up on waterchanges. you said it was dirty so she( your mom)dids a change, well thats a good start. id recommend several significant waterchanges over then next week or so doing gravel vac each time. keep your eyes on the fins for regrowth or recession of fins. if the fins begin to regrow keep doing waterchanges. if there is a continued degredation of fins then re-treat with the Maracyn. many times nothing more is needed for fin issues than clean clean water. only medicate after attempts to halt the finrot with waterchanges(ie CLEAN CLEAN environment) fail. sometimes two rounds of meds is necessary in really bad cases.
cheers.

keep up on waterchanges. you said it was dirty so she( your mom)dids a change, well thats a good start. id recommend several significant waterchanges over then next week or so doing gravel vac each time. keep your eyes on the fins for regrowth or recession of fins. if the fins begin to regrow keep doing waterchanges. if there is a continued degredation of fins then re-treat with the Maracyn. many times nothing more is needed for fin issues than clean clean water. only medicate after attempts to halt the finrot with waterchanges(ie CLEAN CLEAN environment) fail. sometimes two rounds of meds is necessary in really bad cases.
cheers.
2nd on a lot of water changes. I'm still a novice, but have read on every website and book that clean water is most important. According to one book, if you do that, medicine might not be necessary.

My super delta male is currently recovering from losing alot(most) of his tail :(

Im just keeeping the water extra clean and adding aquarium salt to help clean and heal it. Its been two weeks since I started his "treatment" and his tail is growing back fairly quickly.

My super delta male is currently recovering from losing alot(most) of his tail :(

Im just keeeping the water extra clean and adding aquarium salt to help clean and heal it. Its been two weeks since I started his "treatment" and his tail is growing back fairly quickly.

not only is clean water very important, it is equally important to clean the substrate each time with a gravel vac. dirty substrate harbours all sorts of nasties. the fish rest on the bottom and they can pick them up
also id recommend soaking their food in garlic juice. helps boost the immune system
so keep up wht those waterchanges and cleaning! most finrot issues are easily solved by having a better maintenance regime.
all the best!
edit to add:
just out of curiosity, are you certain its actual finrot, or are the girls taking chunks out of each other's fins? if that is the case give more hidey holes/ plants for cover and up the # of girls to 5 to spread out aggression.

Well, my Mom and I cleaned the tank out and the fin rot seems to have halted in its tracks! :D Queenie started having sort of a rip in her tail or something (at least it looked like that) but it's healed completely now; Aqua's spade-tail is growing back and so are her bottom fins, and Taffy is slowly growing her OWN fins back. :)

The tank has been cycled for *AT LEAST* two years; if not maybe even MORE. ;)

Thanks. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back