What's a good fish...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Josh Q

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 2-2.5G vase that I used a while back for a betta and it's been empty for quite a while and have some extra sand and an air pump and air stone and want to put something in it. It's about a foot and a half tall. Is there anything besides a betta that would do well without a heater and filter? I can put it in a place that it will stay at about 70-72degrees. How big do comet gold fish get? Would one or two of those be good? Thanks.
-Josh

i would say guppies might be a posibility worth looking into. the comets can get pretty large certainly no more than two how wide is this vase?

It's an hour glass shape. The widest part is about a 1-1.5 (maybe a little more) across and the bottom (the smallest part) is about 6 inches across.
-Josh

a fan tail would suit that sort of shaped container i think they say tho that you have to limit the fish size to an inch per gallon some say two inches per gallon.

:no:
what fish you could put in a 2 gallon vase? a plastic one.
fantail goldfish get to about 6"-8" in lenght and need at least 10 gallons of water per fish with good filtration - goldies are very very messy. Comets grow a few inches larger.
A betta and any tropical fish would need a heater, unless you keep your house at 75*F all day/year round. If you can keep the vase that warm, you may try putting a betta in there. You will need a cover for the vase though, bettas and many other fish can jump out of the water.
You would need to do 100% water changes every few days, no matter what fish you put in there.

What about White CLoud mountain minnows?? Not too many obviously as there is not much room in there! Why don't you get a larger tank to expand your options....not that much more work once up a nd running!! :D

I'm surprised and quite concerned that all of you have encouraged Josh Q with his question. A vase, no matter how big, small, tall or wide is just that,a vase. A vase is for flowers or other such ornemental decor,it is not designed for fish. The surface area is small, too small for atmospheric diffusion and it is a cruel and barbaric act to keep fish in it.
Shame on all of you. :no: :sad: :sad: :sad: :angry:

Josh Q said:
How big do comet gold fish get? Would one or two of those be good? Thanks.
-Josh
Comets grow very large, they are best suited for a pond or a very large coldwater tank.

As dragon says keeping fish in a vase is just plain wrong. If you want to keep something in a vase buy flowers - thats what they are intended for!! If you do keep fish in there they will live a miserable life and die after a very short time. Go out and splash out on a 20gallon tropical fish tank you won't regret it!! :thumbs:

If you want to keep fish in a vase because you are short of money then go for a 2nd hand fish tank, depending where you live, look in local advert papers and ebay.

I add my concern to that of the others. Vases are not for fish :no: and I cannot recommend any type of fish suitable to keep in one :grr: :grr: Invest in a tank.

Thanks for the info. I have three other tanks that I'm waiting for funds for filters, lights, ect. and I just had this vase sitting around and thought I might as well use it. But if it's gonna be bad for the fish then I'll not do it.
-Josh

Josh Q said:
Thanks for the info. I have three other tanks that I'm waiting for funds for filters, lights, ect. and I just had this vase sitting around and thought I might as well use it. But if it's gonna be bad for the fish then I'll not do it.
-Josh
Its the retailers who sell these things for fish which really annoys me, they knowingly condemn fish to a live of misery :(

You made a good move josh, good luck raising the funds for your new tank :D :thumbs:

that is the big craze here in the u.s. is to put a betta in a clear vase with a plant covering the top. had a co worker that had one sitting on her desk and could not figure out why the poor thing looked miserable. some people just don't think about the fish. :crazy:

semper fi

I wouldnt keep anything in less than 10 gallon tank.. with a filter and heater.. maybe a 5 gallon for feeder fish.. so they can stay in there for a few friends.. before they go in with the oscar..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back