What's a good first lizard ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
Been toying with the idea of getting a lizard. I had Anoles when I was a youngster and I liked them. What is a good lizard for someone who knows nothing ? Easy to care for and feed. Simple environmental requirements. And fun to watch and hold.

Komodo Dragon. Oh hang on, you said fun to watch and hold. Um, yeah you don't wanna be playing with or holding a Komodo Dragon. They bite your arm off and then you die from bacterial infections. Then they eat you :(

I like Geckos and blue tongue or bobtail lizards but I doubt you can get the 2 latter species due to them being Australian.

Iguanas are meant to be easy to care for and are relatively common. They eat mostly fruit and small insects and tame down quite well. They do have big claws so you have to watch for holes in your arm if they hang on. :)

Iguanas are meant to be easy to care for and are relatively common. They eat mostly fruit and small insects and tame down quite well. They do have big claws so you have to watch for holes in your arm if they hang on. :)
Ask @AJE. I know he has more than 1 Iguanas. ;)

Yeah, definitely no Komodo Dragons! :lol:

Just toying with the idea. But really I have been thinking about this for a long time and I'm pretty sure I will get one soon. I think it would be a nice complement to fish. Might stimulate my always on hold plans to start feeding live foods. I know that some lizards won't take anything but live food. I like insects too so it's a win win situation.

Most captive bred reptiles will eat anything and the only time you need live foods is if you have wild caught lizards or snakes. Even then most wild caught animals will learn to take dead foods.

Most captive bred reptiles will eat anything and the only time you need live foods is if you have wild caught lizards or snakes. Even then most wild caught animals will learn to take dead foods.
You need to feed iguanas the proper food, or else their “spines” with get floppy, and unhealthy. That I do know. :)

I kind of have my heart set on a Bearded Dragon.
They have those at my LFS!! They are so cute! I believe they eat crickets, which are relatively inexpensive. I will get a picture on one next time I go to my LFS! :)

I have kept many lizard species, and for ease of care, Leopard geckos and African fat tailed geckos get my vote.
Leos are slightly easier to care for between the two, but fat tails are more docile and handleable.
While bearded dragons aren't the easiest beginner lizard, if you are willing to study up on them and provide adequately for their needs (large, hot cage, UVB lighting, varied diet, frequent feedings) then that would probably work out just fine too.

Ask @AJE. I know he has more than 1 Iguanas. ;)

Yeah, definitely no Komodo Dragons! :lol:
I've only ever kept Green Iguanas and a helmet iguana, neither of which I would recommend. How much room do you have for them?

I've only ever kept Green Iguanas and a helmet iguana, neither of which I would recommend. How much room do you have for them?
I should be able to provide 6 feet by 3 feet. This is going to be something new for me. I've always wanted a lizard. Looked at Bearded Dragons yesterday in a pet shop. They had three together and I just fell in love with that scene. I've always been willing to study up on the pets I keep and I always am happy when they respond to their needs being met.

Reactions: AJE
I have kept many lizard species, and for ease of care, Leopard geckos and African fat tailed geckos get my vote.
Leos are slightly easier to care for between the two, but fat tails are more docile and handleable.
While bearded dragons aren't the easiest beginner lizard, if you are willing to study up on them and provide adequately for their needs (large, hot cage, UVB lighting, varied diet, frequent feedings) then that would probably work out just fine too.
A sixty dollar lizard is going to be pampered and catered to like a little King.:)

Reactions: AJE
I should be able to provide 6 feet by 3 feet. This is going to be something new for me. I've always wanted a lizard. Looked at Bearded Dragons yesterday in a pet shop. They had three together and I just fell in love with that scene. I've always been willing to study up on the pets I keep and I always am happy when they respond to their needs being met.
I love bearded dragons to! I just love the way they tilt their head, when they look at you! :)

I had a beardie. Great first lizard (although when they poop in the bath its NASTY)

Been toying with the idea of getting a lizard. I had Anoles when I was a youngster and I liked them. What is a good lizard for someone who knows nothing ? Easy to care for and feed. Simple environmental requirements. And fun to watch and hold.
A blue tongued skink could be an idea. They don’t need a huge tank, but not too small and don’t require live food. They are very interesting animals which are not aggressive at all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back