What would you stock with honey gouramis?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MammaBearinTN

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm starting with honey gouramis (yellow gold w orange fins for a physical description). What do you think would look good and get along nicely with the honeys?

Thus far, I have five honeys in a 30 gallon long tank. I'd like to add a centerpiece fish and a few corys. How does that sound?

ETA - I'd like to try some shrimp, as well, if they don't get eaten.

Honey gouramis are usually considered centrepiece fish.

Rather than suggest fish, a list of types of fish to avoid -
Fast swimming fish as they'll stress sedate honey gouramis
Large fish as they'll scare honey gouramis
Fish known to be fin nippers
Hard water fish as honey gouramis are soft water fish

Fish such as calm, non-nippy tetras, harlequin rasboras, cories as you've suggested would all be good as long as there's big enough shoals of them to be happy.

Honey gouramis are very peaceful and get along with all other community fish. Here are some idea for tank mates any smaller tetra/rasboras, small rainbows, hatchetfish etc. In terms of bottom dwellers; kuhli loaches, corrys, plecos etc. Paradise fish look very similar to gouramis and can be kept together.

It really depends on the size of the tank and number and temperament of gouramis. I would suggest adding gouramis first and letting them settle in before adding more fish.

How big is the tank? How many gouramis are you planning to keep?

Honey gouramis are very peaceful and get along with all other community fish. Here are some idea for tank mates any smaller tetra/rasboras, small rainbows, hatchetfish etc. In terms of bottom dwellers; kuhli loaches, corrys, plecos etc. Paradise fish look very similar to gouramis and can be kept together.

It really depends on the size of the tank and number and temperament of gouramis. I would suggest adding gouramis first and letting them settle in before adding more fish.

How big is the tank? How many gouramis are you planning to keep?
It's a 30 gallon long tank. I have 5 honeys, and 4 corys. I'm going to get a couple more corys in a couple of weeks. I had an angel with this setup for a long time, and they all did just fine. I finally had to rehome the angel to the local fish shop when it got too large. I don't really like frenetic fish.

With your Honeys occupying the upper water and the cories being playful below id say your tanks looking for a nice mid water school 🙂

Something like the Rasbora's would fit great or Cardinals to bring some nice colour🙂 quite a few options tbf

Thanks! I like the idea of harlequin rasboras, but I figure I would need at least eight and I want to maintain a lightly stocked tank. I think they probably get a little bigger than I would like. If I go with a shoal/school, I think I'm going to look for some ember tetras. My honey gouramis with the orange fins would look really nice with the embers.

Thanks! I like the idea of harlequin rasboras, but I figure I would need at least eight and I want to maintain a lightly stocked tank. I think they probably get a little bigger than I would like. If I go with a shoal/school, I think I'm going to look for some ember tetras. My honey gouramis with the orange fins would look really nice with the embers.
Yes i agree the Embers would go well and look nice with the honeys 🙂 if you like the Rasbora idea tho look into the Espei. Smaller than the Harlequin and are a lovely vibrant orange like the Embers (just another option😉)

Ember Tetras should have a group of 12-15, thre is space here for that, but no fewer.

A slightly smaller rasbora is Trigonostigma hengeli or T. espei, pictured below. This is the same genus as the Harlequin, but these are smaller and quieter. Good match for gourami. A group of 10-12 of either (do not combine). Or the Ember-sized dwarf rasboras in the genus Boraras, like B. brigittae below; these dwarfs also 12-15.

Attachments

• Trigonostigma hengeli1.jpg
    Trigonostigma hengeli1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Trigonostigma espei1.jpg
    Trigonostigma espei1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Boraras brigittae2.jpg
    Boraras brigittae2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 15
Ember Tetras should have a group of 12-15, thre is space here for that, but no fewer.

A slightly smaller rasbora is Trigonostigma hengeli or T. espei, pictured below. This is the same genus as the Harlequin, but these are smaller and quieter. Good match for gourami. A group of 10-12 of either (do not combine). Or the Ember-sized dwarf rasboras in the genus Boraras, like B. brigittae below; these dwarfs also 12-15.
Wow. Thanks for that information. I greatly appreciate it.

You asked about shrimp earlier. It can work with gouramis.
Bamboo and amano are practically graduated not to be eaten.
Bamboo will be fine if they're about a quarter of the way grown which is normally the size fish shops sell them at. They live for around 2 years. There rather active for a shrimp and quite fun. rather large for a shrimp being 2 inches at full size. There filter feeders meaning they take small particles out of the water column and eat it. If you do get this shrimp you will have to find some sort of food to add to the water column.
Amano shrimp would depend on your set up. If it's heavily planted or if there lots of hiding spaces and a few plants then yes it should be perfect. if it's not planted or if theres no hiding spaces ones around half grown ones should be fine... there in my opinion in the top two best alage eaters just under dwarf neon gobies. They do hide quite often and they do require feeding some sort of alage based food

neocaridina shrimp are different to amano shrimp. I would say they need plants and hiding spaces. If you have that they should be fine. It will depend on you gouramis temperament and how much the shrimp stand out. I would add some community fish first before this shrimp . Most Cory's are fine with shrimp.

I would beware of the bamboo shrimp. They are static and have fans out and gourami are known nippers and shrimp eater and they could try eating the fins. I wouldn't risk it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back