what was your very first fish purchase

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

my first was a betta fish, i did some research on them. i bought a small tank and thought he needed a better tank. went through a 2.5 gal (with a dalmation mollie) and then a 10 gal. hopefully i will be able to get a bigger tank. with each move, he seems quite content

A one-inch goldfish, won from a fair in 1976.
I named him killer.
He outgrew his tank at 10 inches within two years and went to live in my neighbour's pond one summer.

He's still there for all I know.. or his decendants.

First fish were a couple bettas. Researched as much as I could before buying. I do that with all fish purchases.

Unfortunately i was one of the percentage that di not research into the fish, and went on looks.
My first purchase was, hmmm let me think..... um................ Aahhh yes, it was a Pictus catfish :S

I have always loved these, from the age of about 10. I however know alot more about these fish now, having done things the hard way as so many do!.

PLS ppl who go on only looks, research into fish and fishkeeping, then sit back, take a deep breath, think carefully and if you still want to go ahead.... then welcome to the club :)

First fish that I could actuall say were mine... goldfish I won at the fair. They lived with two bigger goldfish and a pleco that died of ich, then a few years later they all went out in the pnd. First tropical, African Red Devil... my baby...

Ahh, the altime goldfish!!! I think my mom bought it for me at the pet store, and we kept "her" in the altime bowl. Those were the good days. :wub:

i had betta's from the time i was born. Both my parents had tons of other tanks as well, The great thing was tho, that if a fish died, instead of having to carry it to the bathroom for a flush, we could just suck it up w. the Rainbow vac. We had just about everything in those tanks except like cichlids. I can't even remember the first fish i got to pick out, i was only like 2. i never had a gold fish tho, i've never liked them, i just tend to find them quite uninteresting and ugly. but that's my opinion, no one else's. lol

My very first fish was a betta which I inherited from my sister-in-law. She was given a gift, a betta in a vase with a peace lily on it. :sad: She kept it for 6 months or so and then they were moving to a new home so she called me and asked if I was interested in taking him. I said yes and she brought him over. I researched bettas and found out a lot of pertinent information. I re-housed him in a 2.5 gallon tank with a small filter and a heater. He lived for another year and a half, I believe quite happily! :rolleyes:

i'm not going to include them crappy carnival fish....so my first fish (not purchase) was a male betta that my sister decided one day to give to me because it was being mean to her fish. she was gonna flush it, but didn't want to, so she asked me if i wanted it and i'm like "sure....why not"

then i got really really attached to him and his attitude and wanted to get more....so i bought 2 more and put them in a dual betta hex thing, and then i started reading up stuff on the internet about them....then that all brought me here eventually, and now i have 6 betta's, and 9 other fish. and i've only been doin this for 2 years! :D

my first fish were 4 mollies, a clown loach and a rtbs, the mollies were my mums n brothers, and the clown loach was my sisters so my first fish was the rtbs :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back