Hello All! :D

Lets start abit of a discussion!
What was everyones first fish and tank!

:) XD :) XD :)

I'll start.....

Yes, i can't believe it either.
:( 2 Goldfish in a 10l tank when i was 9, no filter :( Daily water changes 75%
Gave them back after around 3 months! :D

Then, i never had much knowledge of keeping fishies, neither did my family.... And the 10l tank was reccomended by the Pet shop lady. :huh:

Anyhoo, what was your first fish and tank?

:D :) :D :)

i feel horrible about it but a fair goldfish in like a 10 litre sweet jar didnt know about water changes it died in the end

Fairground Goldfish x2. tiny plastic tank.

I didn't know about water changes and all those other things, now i do and i enjoy it more and more.

Mop Gold fish called finley, had him in one of the plastic bowls, I must of done something right he lived for 12 years.

For me its a 2 foot tank, 20G tank. Started with a single Yellow Lab who died of swim bladder within an hour of being home. Had NO clue about fish, was in a rough time in life and wanted a cheer up with a tank and some nice fish to take care of. Funny how that turned out huh? Got real pissed after the fish died, reserached online, found this site. Never looked back after that.

A fishless cycle later, and about a year of reserach + experience and now im proud to say i have my 4 footer up and running. And had the 2 footer heavily planted in a low tech tank. Plants taking over the tank lol.

However, am now having issues with the four footer and almost took it down. My bristlenoses spawned and are sitting on eggs since 3am on the 8th of October, and a guppy gave birth to about 30 fry tonight at about 10pm. Before this could not get a single fish to breed, not even the guppies! And i mean the guppies did not even get pregnant!

After these spawns i decided to stick to the tank and leave it as it is. Guess its one of those things that should have happened when i bought the tank huh? :p
However, I need to find the issue and fix it and restock the tank.

Now thats my story, best get to bed lol.

Regards,
Indir

hmmmm.. Thought as much, most people do start off with Goldfish as they are widely available and only a pound :S

My first was a 2 foot tank (64L fish box) and first "bought" fish were white cloud mountain minnows my "first" fish were guppy fry from my dads tank

only got back into fish keeping, and brought 2 2foot tanks! :D

1 Community & 1 divided male betta tank :)

I recall what I believe was a 10 gallon with several varieties of Goldfish. It was my tank, not my parents - I recall saving my allowance for it and I remember staring at it for hours. Not sure how long I had it running, but after that I wasn't really into fish for I would guess at least another 25 years...

Umm about 25 years ago I had 3-4 goldfish from a fair.
Kept them in a little plastic bowl thing.
Once a week put the fish in a cup, cleaned out the bowl in the sink - gravel and all. Filled it back up with tap water - no dechlor, filter or any such thing.
Lived about 6 months at a time, did that probably 3 times before my nan stated "there's no point, they don't live very long" and I had a rabbit instead...

Then fast forward to last year and "our" first tank was a 125L Roma and the first fish to go in were 8 zebra danios.

A 10Gallon with this ferocious stocking;

1 male swordtail
2 male & female golden mollies
1 red wag platy
2 male guppies
1 male fighter

Another goldfish tragedy, try 4 goldfish in a 4 gallon tank no filter weekly 100% water changes, then later 2 more goldfish that my friend gave me when she moved back home to Australia (believe it or not it was an upgrade!!!)

I was still in primary school at the time i must have been about 8/9 years old i had no idea the words "fish keeping" even existed let alone there be other fish out there other than goldfish. ????

shame on me :no:

Atleast i can say i have learned from my mistakes :D

My were also gold fish. Usually 2 or 3 in a one gallon bowl. There was no gravel or anything and every few days, I took a syphon and cleaned the poo off the bottom. . .I'm not sure if I ever changed the entire bowl of water. We had well water at the time so chlorine wasn't an issue.

I recall once I walked up and accidently bumped the bowl and one of the fish began zooming around the bowl like a tornado and then up and died. lol

Oh and that was in my early teens. . maybe 13ish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back