What Was Wrong With My Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Afleetingmoment

Reaction score
I purchased 2 dalmation mollies a few days ago. They acted fine at first. the male was chasing the female a lot. But then I noticed that when the female wasn't being chased she just kind of floated there and wasn't eating. She was always hiding though so I couldn't get a good look at her. The next day she was dead. When I took her out I noticed that she had orange spots on her that seemed to spread even after she was dead and that her eyes were clouded over. So I isolated the male since he was the only one who had really had any physical interaction with her. Then I cleaned the tank and began a course of antibiotics. All of my other fish seem perfectly fine. But the male seemed to have excess body slime, he stopped eating about a day later, and began swimming almont vertically with his nose pointing straight up. He almost seemed to have lost motor control. he would try to swim but not go anywhere, so on. Yesterday I found him dead in his bowl. But he didn't have any 0f the orange marking that the first one had. When could have been wrong with them?

What size tank is it? What and how many fish do you have in the tank? Did you cycle the tank before adding fish to it?

But at that point I only had 5 fish, those 2 + 2 platies and a betta. It was like 2 weeks ago

But at that point I only had 5 fish, those 2 + 2 platies and a betta. It was like 2 weeks ago

Afraid even five 2 inch fish are too much for a new 10 gallon tank. The recommended stocking is 1 ich of fish per 5 gallons until the tank has cycled (i.e. the first 4-6 weeks); that would mean 1 platy or similar in a 10 gallon.

Full stocking for this tank, once it is mature (after several months) would be something in the region of 5 platies. Fish need more space than you'd think.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back