What Was That White Fuzzy Stuff?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tagerlilly18

Reaction score
alright so i had a tank of goldfish a while back. I had a very special oranda named Kitty he got sick one day because he got swim bladder and while that happened i guess he was stressed because a million other things went wrong with him and his fins began to desinagrate i used melafix for a while and salt and thankfully saved his life but his leg fins were beyond repair and so he lost his leg fins completely but was healthy other than that. He would sometimes get sores where his arm pits would be if he had any . im guessing this was due to the ammonia build up but sometimes it was only him who got it and i never knew why i just figured it was because of his weight because he was the biggest of the goldfish i had . I felt so sad for him and made him a harness so he could swim around in the tank allittle (at least get off the bottom more often) and it worked alright but it ended up rubbing him raw and i didnt want him sick again so i did away with this . so everything was pretty good until we ran out of the pellet food my my mother began feeding them flakes within a few weeks i went over to the tank and the other 2 goldfish were floating at the top covered in this white film? it looked like how when a fish dies and if you leave it sit over night that whie film engulfs it thats what was all over them and they were still alive though (barely) . immediately i took Kitty out and put him in a lil seprate container because he was always at the bottom he didnt engulf airr from the top like the others nor did he have the white stuff but in 2 days he too was gone. he never got white stuff on him but i think everything was just too much for him. i medicated his water and him and used salt and he had an air stone and 100% changes but i still couldnt save him. the other 2 fish i brushed off the white stuff but then didnt make it more than a few hours later. All of this happened right after a water change and it was fast. The fish were ine one minnute than on deaths doorstep the next. I was wondering if anyone knew what got them? i found a similar topic today that showed patches of what fuzzy stuff called columnaris infection but what my fish had was all around them not just in spots. Thanks for any responses guys =)

Could have been fungus, which is white and fuzzy and can appear anywhere.

May I ask, as it seems you have had a lot of problems with your goldfish....

How long has your tank been running? How big is your tank? How many fish?

As you started saying in the beginning you suspected maybe an ammonia build up could be the culprit... just makes me wonder if your tank is suitable for your fish.

i dont have the tank anymore it was my mothers and once the fish died we used the tank for something else

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back