What types of fish can I choose for my 20 gallon aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CoolBlaze765

Reaction score
Hi! I have a 20 gallon aquarium and I am looking at starting a community freshwater tank, I am a beginner so I am looking for easy fish. I was looking at Platies and Mollies yesterday, and I thought maybe I could add 4 mollies and 4 platies to my tank. So far that is all I have. I want my tank to look full so I was thinking maybe I should add more fish. Any recommendations? Here are some details about my tank:

20 gallon
Elite Hush20 Filter
LED Lighting
Air pump
Temps at : ~24C

I am looking for fish that have same diet as mollies and platies, and also aren't sensitive to the water conditions.

Thanks in Advance :)

Welcome to TFF.

Mollies require more space than what a 20g tank provides; males will reach 3 inches, and females are capable of attaining 5 inches (some sources mention 6 inches). Platy are better suited to a 20g.

It would help to know your water parameters, meaning the hardness (GH) and pH. If you are on municipal water, you should be able to find this out on their website.

Byron.

Has this tank been fully cycled? I'm not sure how experienced you are, so I thought I'd just make sure.

I'd like to confirm what Byron said... the 20 gallons isn't really appropriate for the mollies, but fine for the platies.

Assuming you have moderate water (somewhere in the middle of soft and hard), the platies will be fine, though they prefer water a touch on the harder side. Meanwhile, you are asking for other fish to add and you want the tank to look full... the best suggestion I can make would be either male guppies or male endlers. Endlers are smaller, so you could get a few more. But, a nice group of about 7 male guppies (I also recommend odd numbers for aggressive reasons) would add a splash of colors (they come in a variety of options), activity (they swim in all areas of the tank), and have very nearly identical needs as the platies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back