What type of snail are these?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Balticbob

Reaction score
View attachment 119051 can someone please help,what type of snails are these? I have added nothing to my tank for over a year and now I have these all over the tank. I have Nerites in my tank but these are not Nerites.Help please

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to the forum, I don’t see the picture you were attached, can you post the picture again?

Attachments

• 20201009_090726.jpg
    20201009_090726.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 20201009_090720.jpg
    20201009_090720.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 76
The cone shaped snails are Malaysian trumpet snails. If you somehow got 1 single tiny snail in your tank, they can reproduce without another snail being present.
These snails usually live in the substrate during the day, though mine don't seem to have read that book. But they are useful snails for keeping sand from compacting (if the substrate is sand).

The cone shaped snails are Malaysian trumpet snails. If you somehow got 1 single tiny snail in your tank, they can reproduce without another snail being present.
These snails usually live in the substrate during the day, though mine don't seem to have read that book. But they are useful snails for keeping sand from compacting (if the substrate is sand).
Thanks for the info! Mine dont seem to have read the book either,they are on my driftwood,glass and plants all day! I have a sand,small gravel substrate. Nothing has been added to m tank forever a year so I have no idea how they got in there.

I agree, they are MTS. Quite beneficial for your tank IMO. They spend most of their time under your substrate - you rarely will see them once they get a tad older.

I agree, they are MTS. Quite beneficial for your tank IMO. They spend most of their time under your substrate - you rarely will see them once they get a tad older.
So they are beneficial for my tank and can remain in there? I have sand and small gravel substrate.

Yes, MTS are actually beneficial for the tank, they help eat algae and debris on surfaces like leftover fish foods and a bit of decaying plants.

Also the best benefit imho is the fact that they burrow into the substrate, this helps to turn over the substrate and eliminate air pockets that could turn eventually to be anaerobic gas.

Yes, MTS are actually beneficial for the tank, they help eat algae and debris on surfaces like leftover fish foods and a bit of decaying plants.

Also the best benefit imho is the fact that they burrow into the substrate, this helps to turn over the substrate and eliminate air pockets that could turn eventually to be anaerobic gas.
I've now put some cuttlefish bone in my Aquarium and the snails are all over it,calcium for shell growth, YES?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back