What Type Of Rock Is This And Where Can I Buy It?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

laurac94

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I really like the look of this type of rock for my new to-be cichlid tank.
Does anyone know what type of rock it is and where to get it?
I am in west Yorkshire, England.

I really like all of the holes in it.
If anyone knows of anyother type of rock similar to this please share ;-)

Attachments

• aquarium1130-1.jpg
    aquarium1130-1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 146
Thanks, I always thought ocean rocks were darker in colour lol ;-) I'll have a look at the lfs then in that case ;-)

Techen, somehow I managed to put this topic up twice, can you remove one please ;-) God knows how I did that!

Its ocean rock and no good for American Cichlids :/ it raises the ph which is what you want for African Cichlids - in American tanks you want to use inert stones that wont change your ph like slate and bog wood that will slightly lower it but not enough to really notice. I get my wood from thegreenmachine.com usually as they have a great selection and are cheaper than the shops around me...

Wills

Hehe ok, im glad I've got an expert on this forum ;-) I'll have a look on there then, I want a large piece of bogwood as a centerpiece, was just looking at my options ;-) or maybe some nice slate arrangement

Thanks loads!!

Its limestone. Dont add it since it will make your ph high. For am cichlid you want it low.

Hiya. Where abouts in west yorkshire? There's a little shop in keighley that sells it. Can't remember how much it is? He's got loads of the slate - 1.99 kg so can't imagine it's too expensive. He also has some wood. But yeh the guys are right- if you want American it's no good.

Im in huddersfield but my lfs did me a good deal on 2 big chunks of bogwood. Thanks anyway akfox18 ;-)

Not sure if it's just under anther name or not but Texas Holey Rock looks a lot like that but seems way too expensive.  I know a lot of people seem to buy that for cichlid set ups.  From what I have seen an 8 lb rock can run you around $30-$40 though.   But I thought this was a limestone so not sure how it would effect water conditions.

Ocean rock, it darkens with age in certain conditions and low cleaning (ive let mine brown with algae for my cichlids)

Plus ocean rocks corrode in time (not to mention in low alkaline levels) that in turn may release some gases or unwanted trace elements into the water. It may also harbour some harmful microorganisms if you found it outside the water.

That looks like plain old holey rock to me. Which is great for cichlids, except in the last few years the price has skyrocketed and it'll cost you big time! Our 120 gallon cichlid tank was full of it years back, but now it's just too expensive!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back