What Type Of Livebearers Do You Keep,

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I think there is somethings to consider here, besides the vast array of "other" livebearers... so, follow me, if you will.
Yes, everyone knows what guppies are, they are something that reminds us of childhood and the like. Yes, common and well, popular,
There is a reason, besides simply the availability - but the simple beauty, the great variety, the range of finnage and colors, shape and size. They are fun! No, I do not raise guppies, but feel there is plenty of room in the hobby, and there is certainly space on the internet, to appreciate the good things and not dwell on the negative! Warning! Guppies have puppies! LOL

I got half a dozen guppies six months ago fry appeared after 2 weeks (must have been pregnant when I bought them) now the babies are having babies - already had to set up a second tank don't think wifey will let me have any more - would like some different fish but don't want to overstock what is the answer culling doesn't sound nice.

I got half a dozen guppies six months ago fry appeared after 2 weeks (must have been pregnant when I bought them) now the babies are having babies - already had to set up a second tank don't think wifey will let me have any more - would like some different fish but don't want to overstock what is the answer culling doesn't sound nice.
Culling doesn't have to a negative thing. Lots of serious breeders do cull. Me too. It depends on what are you gonna do with the stock that doesn't meet up the expectations? Overhere, they'll be put in my mutt tank. Those who would like a mix may scoop from that tank.

I like the thought of a mutt tank, I give my bother-in-law the fish I do not want anymore. My red eye tetra 3 males and 2 females had 12 fry in at least 4 groups in less then 3 months and were starting to take over my tetra tank. So off they went, I also wanted to have some shrimp in my tetra tank and red eye tetras go after them. My guppies are also having fry at least 2 maybe 3 groups now so I have 8 adult and around 20 fry in my 30 gallon shrimp/guppy tank.

I like the thought of a mutt tank, I give my bother-in-law the fish I do not want anymore. My red eye tetra 3 males and 2 females had 12 fry in at least 4 groups in less then 3 months and were starting to take over my tetra tank. So off they went, I also wanted to have some shrimp in my tetra tank and red eye tetras go after them. My guppies are also having fry at least 2 maybe 3 groups now so I have 8 adult and around 20 fry in my 30 gallon shrimp/guppy tank.

A mutt tank!! so that's another tank to set up I don't think so - maybe get a couple of larger fish that will keep the population down.

I keep two strains of guppies - HB blue and redlace.. im trying to breed and isolate ribbon genes. there is a specific name for that gene im not sure what

A fortnight ago I bought pair of green swords there nice looking fish considering there from a pet shop

IMG_5334 (640x467).jpg

I would love to keep male fancy tale guppies. They are so pretty! I’ve been mostly interested in schooling/shoaling fish right now. I’m also getting pea puffers soon, so it’ll be a while before I get some guppies! :whistle:

In this quarantine period I've made a summary of my current livebearers.

Current livebearers present:

Endlers (K-class):

Crimson red scarlet
Red scarlet, Chilli
Snakeskin
Snakeskin blonde
Blue orchid
Tuxedo, HB, Black flame
Blond
Santa Maria bleeding heart
Blue star blonde
Leopard (grey & blonde based)
Red tiger
Tiger hybrid
Yellow saddleback
Cardinal

Cumana endlers:
Black bar
El silverado
Staeck
Rainbow
Red chest
Orchid
Yellow top sword

Campoma endlers:
Campoma nr.3
Campoma nr.7
Campoma nr.9
Campoma nr 21
Campoma nr. 42
El tigre
Blue star

Poecilia reticulata
Wild
Rio casanay
Rio solimoes
Surinam green
Cayenne
Baja california
Gillbach
Poecilia reticulata, Paramaribo
Anton Drachtenweg, 2005, Surinam (officially not a Poecilia reticulata)
Poecilia obscura (officially not a Poecilia reticulata)

Fancy
Ginga rubra blonde
Ginga kinubali
Blue rio
Panda lutino
Panda platinum blonde
Panda
High end ritz DS gray
High end ritz DS blonde
Filigree topsword blond
Japan blanco
Albino koi
Tuxedo red koi
Platinum koi (grey based)
Platinum koi (blonde based)
Yellow tuxedo
Filigree moscow
Dragon
Magenta tuxedo rountail
Albino lace shorttail

Xiphophorus
Xiphophorus pygmaeus
Xiphophorus helleri yucatan
Xiphophorus helleri alvarezi
Xiphophorus rio papaloapan
Xiphophorus signum
Xiphophorus kallmani
Xiphophorus montezumae
Xiphophorus variatus la laguna
Xiphophorus variatus (aquarium strain)
Xiphophorus evelynae
Xiphophorys maculatus (wild caught 2019 Chuco's place)
Xiphophorus Xiphidium crescent
Xiphophorus milleri
Xiphophorus helleri black (Hamburger swordtail, aquarium strain)
Xiphophorus helleri white (cross from my Malboro swordtails)

Limia
Limia perugiae
Limia nigrofasciata
Limia vittata
Limia tiger
Limia melanogaster
Limia tridens

Molly
Choco molly
Poecilia Mexicana
Poecilia salvatoris

Girardinus
Girardinus metallicus black belly
Girardinus metallicus (plane coloroured)
Girardinus falcatus

Phalloceros
Phalloceros caudimaculatus
reticulatus
Phalloceros caudimaculatus
Auratus

Brachyrhaphis
Brachyrhaphis roseni

Nomorhamphus
Nomorhamphus ebrardtii
Nomorhamphus sp. Muna island

Phallichthys