What type of light is the best for plants?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

yhbae

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
If I want to create a tank with only java moss and java ferns (I want more of them, as fast as possible!), which type of lighting should I go with?

This is what I am planning to create:

- 10g tank, water only half way filled up.
- DIY CO2 setup.
- No filter ==> no disturbance to retain CO2 as much as I can.
- About 40w of lighting, probably two 24" fluorescent bulbs side by side.
- No fish.

Also, should I be adding any fertilizers since there's no fish that will produce them?

right...

make sure you get 'trichromatic' ones. they have peaks in the red, blue and green wavelengths.

6700k is plenty too :)

as for fertilisers - we add them even with fish, fish dont excrete iron, magnesium etc :)

It sounds like a great tank for 10-15 neons (i know, you said no fish :))

smithrc said:
right...

make sure you get 'trichromatic' ones. they have peaks in the red, blue and green wavelengths.

6700k is plenty too :)

as for fertilisers - we add them even with fish, fish dont excrete iron, magnesium etc :)

It sounds like a great tank for 10-15 neons (i know, you said no fish :))
I think I'll go to the hardware store and simply get the 6.7k bulbs - it's probably the cheapest as well... ;)

Any particular brand of fertilizer you recomend for java moss and java ferns?

yhbae said:
If I want to create a tank with only java moss and java ferns (I want more of them, as fast as possible!), which type of lighting should I go with?

- DIY CO2 setup.
- No fish.

Also, should I be adding any fertilizers since there's no fish that will produce them?
Ok if no disturbance no co2 either. That is what stagnant water is. Water has to move a bit. So if the water does not move at all your water will die along with the plants. So a small filter to keep water moving would help.

Da_Oz said:
yhbae said:

- DIY CO2 setup.
- No fish.

Ok if no disturbance no co2 either. That is what stagnant water is. Water has to move a bit. So if the water does not move at all your water will die along with the plants. So a small filter to keep water moving would help.
Hmm... So what is the best way to create a little bit of water current without disturbing it too much? I guess neither air stone, nor a water fall from a power filter will do...

Also, how about temperature? I wasn't going to heat the tank either - would this affect the rate of growth like fishes?

Also, on a different thought - what happens if I put a piece of java moss in a jar, filled with tap water, plus some carbonated spring water, put the lid back on, and leave it on the window sill where there are lots of sun light?

This should provide lots of light, lots of CO2 and some nutrients from the spring water... :lol: No?

[/QUOTE]

Hmm... So what is the best way to create a little bit of water current without disturbing it too much? I guess neither air stone, nor a water fall from a power filter will do...

[/QUOTE]

get a powerhead :nod:

fit tubes and place it in a small container filled with water then run the tubes in/out of the tank if you don't like the idea of it being in the tank :sly:

[/QUOTE]

get a powerhead :nod:

fit tubes and place it in a small container filled with water then run the tubes in/out of the tank if you don't like the idea of it being in the tank :sly: [/quote]
Thanks - I'll look into doing that... (or even put the powerhead in the tank and forget about it...)

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but if you are only gonna have jave moss and java ferns in the tank, why so high tech? Those plants are low light, and would do great with regular lighting and no CO2. Just curious.

Gunnie said:
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but if you are only gonna have jave moss and java ferns in the tank, why so high tech? Those plants are low light, and would do great with regular lighting and no CO2. Just curious.
The only reason I want to do this is because I want them grown fast! :lol: As you mentioned, they are low light, slow growing plants. I want to give them a good boost so that I can harvest more of them to setup my next tank... ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back