What type of filtration do you use the most?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

What type of filtration do you use the most?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • External power filter

• Total voters
im also a 17 year old with limited income

..i would like to upgrade my 10 gallon and my 40 gallon ... any advice?

It sounds like the best bet for you is Hagen's Aquaclear line. They are probably the most popular, simplest, cheapest, and best all-round filter.

I'd reccomend getting the biggest filter you can afford, so for your 10 gallon an aquaclear 20 is appropriate, 30 is better, and for your 40 gallon an aquaclear 110 is best, but a 70 would do the job nicely.

You can get the lower ones and it will work better still than an sponge or undergravel filter, but the price difference isn't that much in my experience. I think it's about $5 to upgrade from an AC 20 to an AC 30.

HTH

edit : spelling

I found the aquaclear filters on the Petsmart web page.

I don't know if you like Petsmart or not, but it will give you an example of what the prices are like.

sorry for the double post guys...but i have questions about the filters you all listed..

what do they require to run?

..do they need airline tubes? or do they need ALOT of airline tubes?

what are parts..like filter cartidges (spelling??) that will need to be replaced frequently? or not so freguently?

how do i go about replacing those parts without taking out the bacterial colonies?

basically...what do all these filters require to run efficiently?

thanks in advance

The aquaclear filters hang on the back of your tank and have a power cord that plugs i th wall. There are no airline hoses or anything else. All you need is in the box. The media included is usually a sponge and carbon. I don't use carbon and put in either a second sponge or some floss for more bio/mechanical filtration. You can buy additional sponges for under $2.

The assembly is really easy, you put together a couple pieces of pipe to the suction end, there is a plastic pull out basket for the media, you put the media in and put it back. Before you start the filter, you need to prime it. That means putting water in the filter before you start, otherwise it won't work. I use a milk pitcher, but anything that is clean without soap residue will work.

For maintenance, all you have to do is squeeze the sponge in some old tank water after a water change. Don't squeeze too much or you will loose too many bacteria, just enough to get rid of the "gunk" that accumulates. If your tank is planted you may need to take leaves and plant bits out of the intake guard.

why dont you use carbon?

thanks for the great info..could i use that and my underground filter....or is it better to just use that..or combine others?

sorry for all the questions...im just relly curious i want whats best for my fish

There is a lot of debate on carbon.

Essentially, carbon chemically filters the water. Sponges and the like mechanically filter tha water and the bacteria that live in them biologically filter the water.

I don't use it because it needs to be replaced constantly and gets expensive. It also takes nutrients out of the water that plants need if you have live plants. You also need to remove it if you are medicating a tank, as it will filter out the medicine too.

Currently internal. I got a Fluval 2 plus yesterday, and wow. Its completelly different to my original Fluval 2, has space for your choice of media if you want, and cleared the tank of all the gunk that came off the filter pad from my 20's filter. Which was an awful lot.

32 gallon US: AquaClear 200 power filter, UGF with AquaClear 402 power head

16 gallon US : AquaClear 150 power filter

7 gallon US: AquaClear mini power filter

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back