What type of filtration do you use the most?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

What type of filtration do you use the most?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • External power filter

• Total voters

funkybodal

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Thought this would be interesting...

Obviously it's gonna depend alot on what sorta fish you keep and whether you're trying to breed them etc.

Thoughts/comments etc?

Cheers.

hi guys!

i always thought the underground filter was the best but from the poll i see that many go with an external power filter...is this much better?

whats the difference performance wise between the external and internal power filter..as well as an underground filter.

i heard that some fish keepers use an external filter and an underground filter to increase the max number of fish capacity...is this true?

anyhow...im comfortable with my underground filters...

thats my vote!

undergravel filters are very out dated compared to mondern day tecnology.

i have 2 sumps, 1 external cannister, 1 HOB, 2 internals. so i voted sumps these give a huge filter capacity.

I use both internal and UG in each tank, and I gotta tell you that the one using the internal one has more chrystal clear water and the decor seems like if I put it in yeasterday the same goes for the glass, in the other hand, at the tank with UG filter the decor didn't look that good after 6 weeks or so, I had to clean them a bit and had to gently scrub the walls too :p I will definitively upgrade both of them and get rid of the UGF and use the pump for a sponge filter for fry.

I have 4 external throw away filters.......they seem to do a decent job......I have a friend with an under ground filter, and he has done everything he possably can to clear his water...he only has 2 fish!

I use external power filters (2 on each tank) and also have sponge filters attached to powerheads. I always keep a couple of sponge filters in the tanks in case I need to set up a 10 gallon in a hurry (in case I go shopping, have a sick fish or need a fry tank).

wow...thats such wonderful news...(hint of playful sarcasm!!!)

i guess i really dont know the differences between the filters...can someone inform me...??

my waters look clear for an UGF...but i dont know

how much are alternatice filters...

some of the filters yall listed i have no clue what they are

We have internal Juwell filters and external fluvel canisters on our larger tanks, then internal fluvels on the smaller tanks.

We have sand in all our tanks so UG filters are not an option even if we wanted them (which we don't)

The main kinds of filters are:
  • Airstone operated internal sponge filter- works by drawing water through floss or sponge acting as both a phyiscal filter and as a place for beneficial bacteria to live. - ideal for tiny tanks
  • Undergravel filters - operated with an airstone or power head and works by drawing the water through the gravel where the beneficial bacteria live.
  • Internal power filter - contains a water pump with impeller and filter media which acts as both a mechanical and biological filter.
  • HOB (hang on back) Filter - Same principal as the internal power filter, but hangs on the outside of the tank with inlet & outlets in the tank. Common in America, but less common elsewhere (I've never seen one in a store)
  • Wet & Dry - similar to the HOB but the media is not submergerd and instead has the water flowing over it in air.
  • External Canister - under the tank containing a pump and filter media. water feeds into it by gravity syphon along pipes then is pumped back into the tank with an electric water pump.
  • External sump - same priciple as an external canister, but the water goes into a second aquarium under the main tank where it passed through various filter media then is pumped back into the tank. Ideal for larger tanks and very effective.
I've almost certainly missed something, and my description of the HOB and W&D maybe a little off as I've not experianced those two, but you get the gist.

I voted for external power filter as that's what's on my newest tanks. On my 2 Juwel rios I have the juwel internal filters plus Eheim ecco externals, and on my first ever tank and the small tanks I have internal power filters, but on the new ones I'm going external Eheims all the way. Gives you way more room in the tank and the filtration is wonderful.

yea..i do live in america so i do see alot of hang on filters...

thank you SirMinion for the list!

i suppose i need to upgrade but the other filters seem so complicated...i wouldnt know how to start..any advice.??.(remember im also a 17 year old with limited income...haha :p )

the external sump sounds good but like i said i dont know where to start..i would like to upgrade my 10 gallon and my 40 gallon..no sand...like i asked earlier..any advice?

I voted sump cost I feel they are the best.

I have two of these running, two external cannisters, and internal power and a couple of air driven filters.

Sumps are also great cos you can hide ugly things (like heaters) out of sight.

All AquaClear hang-on-the-backs for me, except in my betta-breeding tank (that has a sponge filter).

@ kcalbat. I'd whack a fluval 3 (assuming you can get them your side of the pond) in your 40G, it'll fit the bill nicely. Easy to set up, easy to clean, gives good flow of water round the tank- job done. I'd leave the undergravel in there too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back