What Type Of Cory Is This?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

spe464

Reaction score
I unfortunately only purchased 4 of these guys and now want to get more but there is some confusion on what kind they are.... thoughts? The aquarium I bought them from swears that they are red laser corey, but I've also been told, green, gold and orange... I really want to match the specific cory. Thanks for the help!
c99d08d1d6b2e2cfb30c5cd0afe7c43b.jpg
f5463d06b3ab7af5f38a75e0ba6b9d73.jpg
c8030ccba900835866a4a168514b1656.jpg
1aa837f4b2abd840079b9208a402c65e.jpg

Doug

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Bronze Corydora are C. aeneus which also is the same family as Green Laser, and Gold laser and all would happily breed together. By your photographs I would think that yours are Green Lasers also known as Green Stripe. I do not think that your fish is a bronze simply because I have never seen a bronze corydora with the distinct iridescent line down its side.
Another name for Gold laser is Orange Stripe so I can see where depending on what country the person identifying your fish came from could determine which name they used as a common name.

lil bronze fella, very sweet temprament and very shy

Looking at the yellow fins aso personally I expect it to be a Corydoras melanotaenia.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

This may be a question for another thread, but I'm curious about the substrate in the OPs photos and whether or not it would normally be considered to be too coarse for Cories.

My "Bronze" Cories are in a tank which has what I would describe as coarse sand or fine gravel and they have no trouble or problems with burrowing in to eye depth

The OPs substrate appears to be a form of scoria which to my thinking often has rough or sharp surfaces.

Here is a better picture of the cory. As far as the substrate, it's the exact same substrate the aquarium store has in their tanks. Eco-complete. I hope it's ok for them...
e22c8f4befb2d680c838833c249c33f4.jpg

Sadly the substrate is probably too rough really for a cory (well almost any bottom dweller really), being rough it not only runs the risk of causing small cuts on the corys delicate belly but also allowing bacteria to enter through the cuts. You may even see the barbels get worn away, which can be caused by a  combination of rough surface and bacterial infections. Rough surfaces like that also prevent the corydora from displaying their natural habits, such as nosing into the substrate up to their eyes looking for food.
You would try gradually clearing a portion of the tank of the rough substate and introducing sand, in no time you would probably see a preference of the corys for the sand over the rock.

Oh and I am still betting the cory is a Green Laser

Baccus said:
Sadly the substrate is probably too rough really for a cory (well almost any bottom dweller really), being rough it not only runs the risk of causing small cuts on the corys delicate belly but also allowing bacteria to enter through the cuts. You may even see the barbels get worn away, which can be caused by a  combination of rough surface and bacterial infections. Rough surfaces like that also prevent the corydora from displaying their natural habits, such as nosing into the substrate up to their eyes looking for food.
You would try gradually clearing a portion of the tank of the rough substate and introducing sand, in no time you would probably see a preference of the corys for the sand over the rock.

Oh and I am still betting the cory is a Green Laser
I think you mean a gold laser ?

spe464 said:
Here is a better picture of the cory. As far as the substrate, it's the exact same substrate the aquarium store has in their tanks. Eco-complete. I hope it's ok for them...
e22c8f4befb2d680c838833c249c33f4.jpg

Nice pic, spe464.

My Cories have what appears to be the beginnings of a gold stripe behind their eyes, perhaps 2 or 3mm long, which, having seen your pic, I hope will become more pronounced as they mature (I'm assuming they are not yet fully grown since they are less than 2.5cm in length)

I've been attempting to upload a pic but the the file size restrictions are preventing me at this stage

I reckon its C.schultzei, better known as the Gold Shoulder cory. Similar to gold laser just different stripe.!

I'd say CW010. Beautiful fish

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back