What type of Cory do I have?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Boza

Reaction score
So I bought this Cory from petco and it was supposed to be a julii but to me it doesnā€™t seem like thatā€™s the case unless it hasnā€™t gotten itā€™s spots Iā€™m completely new to these fish so Iā€™d like to see if anyone could identify what I have
63036C81-AE3A-45F8-982F-FEFDEBA605AD.png

I'll say probably a male Corydoras aeneus.

C.aeneus to me.
I'll say probably a male Corydoras aeneus.

I concur! It's a male C.aeneus (Bronze cory). Definitely not a julii! Jullies are spotty. I'm going to guess they had an old label on the tank from a previous shipment, and the employee there when you bought it didn't know the difference.
The problem is that corydoras are social fish that need a group of the same species to feel happy and secure. A minimum of six of them. Bronze cories are popular and easy to get hold of, so you won't have a hard time getting some friends for him, and they're not expensive, as far as cories go.

Would you be prepared to get some more, to keep him company? If you let us know your tank size and stocking, we can let you know if you can keep six of them in there. :)

I concur! It's a male C.aeneus (Bronze cory). Definitely not a julii! Jullies are spotty. I'm going to guess they had an old label on the tank from a previous shipment, and the employee there when you bought it didn't know the difference.
The problem is that corydoras are social fish that need a group of the same species to feel happy and secure. A minimum of six of them. Bronze cories are popular and easy to get hold of, so you won't have a hard time getting some friends for him, and they're not expensive, as far as cories go.

Would you be prepared to get some more, to keep him company? If you let us know your tank size and stocking, we can let you know if you can keep six of them in there. :)
Thankyou for the id help, everyone, yes I think she really didnā€™t know and neither did till I did some research when I got home. The tank is 10 gallons and I have 2 black mollies that are about 3 inches and a juvenile Dalmatian Molly in there already I know they may eventually outgrow the tank and I plan on moving them to a bigger tank when that time comes they have shown no signs of aggression toward the Cory they tend to hang around the top of the water column and yes I would be open to getting more Coryā€™s do they do better with the same sub species or all Cory in general?

Thankyou for the id help, everyone, yes I think she really didnā€™t know and neither did till I did some research when I got home. The tank is 10 gallons and I have 2 black mollies that are about 3 inches and a juvenile Dalmatian Molly in there already I know they may eventually outgrow the tank and I plan on moving them to a bigger tank when that time comes they have shown no signs of aggression toward the Cory they tend to hang around the top of the water column and yes I would be open to getting more Coryā€™s do they do better with the same sub species or all Cory in general?

You need a group of cories, aim for 10 or more, all the same species or mixed doesn't really matter in your case.

However, a 10g tank is small, and frankly too small for mollies or cories. It would be better to get the larger tank ASAP. Mollies will grow fairly rapidly if they are healthy, up to 4 or 5 inches. This sized fish will have a real impact on the biological system. If you have three, I ope they are all males, or you will soon have dozens and then hundreds.

Thankyou for the id help, everyone, yes I think she really didnā€™t know and neither did till I did some research when I got home. The tank is 10 gallons and I have 2 black mollies that are about 3 inches and a juvenile Dalmatian Molly in there already I know they may eventually outgrow the tank and I plan on moving them to a bigger tank when that time comes
No worries! Very happy to help, it's what we're here for. :)

Last edited:
If you have three, I ope they are all males, or you will soon have dozens and then hundreds.

@Byron has a point about the mollies - if you have any females, there's a good chance you'll be having babies appearing pretty soon! If you're not sure of the gender, look at the anal fin. Diagram below
male-or-female-molly-fish.jpg

Or if you can take clear photos that show that fin, we can sex them for you.

@Byron has a point about the mollies - if you have any females, there's a good chance you'll be having babies appearing pretty soon! If you're not sure of the gender, look at the anal fin. Diagram below
View attachment 168234

Or if you can take clear photos that show that fin, we can sex them for you.
The 2 black mollies are male Iā€™ll have to take a close look at the dalmation when I get home

No worries! Very happy to help, it's what we're here for. :)

You want to upgrade the tank size as soon as possible, don't wait for them to get big first, since by then it's too late, and it may stunt their growth. Mollies are one of my favourites! The black and dalmatian mollies especially can get really quite big when given the space and food to grow. Mine reached an easy 4 inches in a 57g tank:
View attachment 168231

This is just to give you an idea of how large they can eventually get, given the chance! This were almost 8 years old, so it took time to get this large, but the gold dust molly behind them, the gravid platy in front, and the male guppy above are all adults! So the bigger the tank you can manage, the better really! Mine used the whole of the 57g. Bear in mind that they're shaped to swim, so they're an active fish that need space to explore. With mollies and a decent school size of cories, I'd recommend a 30g minimum, and it'll also give you far more options for other fish to keep! :)

Mollies and cories are fine together, I've kept them together too. :)
A reliable and accurate site for fish info is called Seriously Fish. They give all the parameters that the species of fish need, and include things like behaviour and compatibility, so you can see what sorts of fish would work (or wouldn't work!) with the fish you already have. :) There's a lot of misinformation online, since anyone can write a blog or have a YouTube channel, so it's always good to have a reliable resource to be sure about what your fish will need!
Here's their profile on Black mollies (same info will apply to dalmatians)
And on bronze cories: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-aeneus/

Better to have at least some of the same species together, rather than a "pick 'N mix" approach. But in a larger tank you can mix different species together and they get along fine, since they're all peaceful and highly social. I have bronzes, sterbai's, black venezuelans and three adopted spotty cories together, and they're all social together - but they do tend to gather together with those of the same species when spooked or hiding out in their safe spots. Like the sterbai cories especially tend to stick together. So I'd suggest getting another two young bronzes now, so you have three together, then get three more once you've upgraded to a larger tank.

Ten gallons is really too small for bronzes, but if you're confident you can upgrade soon, and want to keep the one you have and have a school of them, then you could manage three young ones in a 10g as long as you keep up with maintenance and regular water changes! Bronzes can get relatively big and chunky, especially the females. But your singleton would be much happier with friends!

Here's some of my youngsters, after mine bred. Had 86 babies to rehome!
View attachment 168233
Thankyou for all of the information I really appreciate it! And I will be getting a larger tank within a month definitely

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back