What Type Of Cory Cat Is This?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
They were sold to me as Pygmy cories, but I'm sure they're not Pygmies as they never really shoal with them, don't display same behaviours and most of all they look quite different.

Here are the pics, sorry for the quality

qI2XbEP.jpg

4W2w0Zp.jpg

Hmm, I'm not sure. Leaning more towards that it isn't, the San Juan cory seems to have black spots while mine have a more constant grey. 

have a look on PC and see if there's any others that fit the bill. They generally are the right people to identify it. It'll be easier for you look yourself than us trying to ID from photo's. 
When you work out which one's they are let me know ... they're very nice :)

I'm a mad cory woman lol

yeah ... that one looks about right. Are yours young? perhaps their true markings are still developing? Perhaps the marking differ slightly from male to female? I've just been having a good look myself on PC and some cories do seem to differ their markings depending on sex

How many did you get? any hopes for breeding them?

I only got 2 of these and 4 pygmy cories. 

I'm actually in the process of rehoming them to a fellow so I may keep these two for now and just rehome the pygmy cories. 

They are always together, and never with the pygmies, so they're definitely separate species even though they have some similarities. 

I wonder if I'll even be able to catch pygmy cories, that'll be a challenge 

catching cories ... I wish you luck! When I had to catch mine this year I nearly ended up bald! They're so fast!

With a bit of patience you might be able to trick the corys into a net with their favourite food. Most times though when I have had to move corys it has involved stripping the tank and emptying the water down to its last couple of litres and even then its been easier to catch them in my hands than a net. Handling corys can always be a challenge because of their fin spins, but I have found if you enclose them gently in your hand they are less likely to flip about and spine you, also that way they don't potentially damage their spins getting caught in a net.

They are very nice corys that you managed to get, and I hope you are able to track down some more so they have a nice comfortable shoal to hang in and maybe even breed for you.

I was thinking the same Baccus ... if you can get those breeding you might be on to a good thing if you can get a good lfs interested. They would seem to be rare. If you look on what it says on PC it says 'breeder - none'

What are the chances of them being male and female though? And I don't think I have a good breeding setup, that's why I'm rehoming the pygmy cories, as it's hard water/high ph.

you could try lowering the ph and softening the water naturally with things like bogwood, indian almond leaves, alder cones etc. It makes things difficult for water changes though so maybe think about RO water too? There are ways to soften things if you really want cories

im not that bothered honestly. not going to mess with the ph so they'll get rehomed most likely

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back