What treatment for gill flukes/quarantine or no quarantine?? (In the UK!)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
Please help, I need advice on what treatment meds to use and whether to treat in main tank or quarantine!
I've got a 160L planted tank with:
3 male guppies
3 male endler varieties
2 clown plecos
2 amano shrimp
1 nerite snail
5 Green babaultI juvenile shrimp

I'm pretty sure my fish have gill flukes...I'd have much more peace of mind treating the whole tank but I know invertebrates and plecos can be sensitive to a lot of treatments. I have a quarantine tank and have Sterazin being delivered but does anyone know what would be a great treatment to use in the DT with invertebrates and plecos? I see Paragon by Waterlife keep being recommended instead of Sterazin if your tank contains invertebrates and other sensitive inhabitants but looking at Paragon it makes no mention of gill flukes or parasites, reads more just like a health tonic for the tank kind of thing...
Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of Sterazin, Paragon, Fluke-Solve or any better treatment recommendations for the UK?
I also wonder if I need a strong treatment as I'm not sure of the severity of the infection?
A lack of symptoms makes me think it's mild but fish deaths makes me think it's more severe or something else, or both, or mild with some already weak fish...
More detailed info:
I started with 4 guppies, then I added 3 guppies and 3 endlers from a different store. Everything was going great until one suddenly died for no apparent reason. About a month later a second one died NYE (worst start to the year ever) - this one was from an injured eye though, he died just before I was about to salt dip him :(
There was an evening when they all started flashing, however I'd just done a major water change and clean which kicked up a lot of debris from my wood and plants and they only did it a couple times the next day or so and then stopped. Everything seemed fine again and then again for seemingly no apparent reason another guppy died mid march and then 3 days later another guppy. Within those 3 days there was one guppy that looked a little sad and I thought his breathing was rapid, so it was a surprise and even more confusing that the final guppy death wasn't him but a seemingly healthy one! I have been non stop googling, nothing seemed to really fit. I have a sponge filter as well as normal filter which provides extra water agitation.
After each death and in between, I tested the water with the liquid tests. Always 0, 0, 10-20ppm for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
With the guppy that was the only one to show any signs and is still alive:
It started as rapid gill movement. Then occasionally sitting at the bottom of the tank (during the day). Now he's isolating himself a little bit more. But these aren't all the time, most of the time he acts like normal and still excitedly comes for food with the rest. The only constant is the rapid gill movement and they look like they stick out a bit more than usual. The other day I thought I saw a different guppy flash and today I clearly saw the heavy breathing guppy flash for the first time. So this makes me think the only explanation can be gill flukes. The heavy breathing guppy also had a slightly clear, turning into normal coloured, poo today and I know clear poo is definitely a sign of illness.
I've been adding almond leaf water and started leaving it in, planning to swap it out each water change and maybe it's just wishful thinking but he does to have improved ever so slightly since leaving it in. Obviously that won't solve anything, just hopefully give him a boost survive through it.

Does anyone know for certain if plecos can get gill flukes?
I'm uncertain on whether to quarantine because I don't want to leave my plecos vulnerable in the main tank. Also, if plecos can get gill flukes, would taking out the easier hosts (the livebearers) increase the chances of my plecos getting infected and would that then just mean that after quarantine treatment for my livebearers, they could just get reinfected once being reintroduced to the main tank because the flukes are still present in said tank?
...this is why I'd much prefer some help on how to treat the main tank :') plus I don't like the idea of unnecessarily disrupting my guppies, so if I can leave them in their lovely big planted tank then I'd like to :')

Thank you!

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes.

In the UK look for:
eSHa gdex contains praziquantel that treats tapeworm and gill flukes.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms/ flukes in the fish. The second, third and forth treatments kill any baby worms/ flukes that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time to prevent cross contamination.
You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

-----------------------
You can also try salt (sodium chloride) for gill flukes.
Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in the tank for 2-4 weeks.

If you do a water change when using salt, add more salt to the buckets to water before adding it to the tank.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes.

In the UK look for:
eSHa gdex contains praziquantel that treats tapeworm and gill flukes.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms/ flukes in the fish. The second, third and forth treatments kill any baby worms/ flukes that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time to prevent cross contamination.
You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

-----------------------
You can also try salt (sodium chloride) for gill flukes.
Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in the tank for 2-4 weeks.

If you do a water change when using salt, add more salt to the buckets to water before adding it to the tank.
Thank you for your reply! You're the third person to recommend eSHa gdex so I think I'll try find that one!

I do have aquarium salt but the others in the tank wouldn't like the amount required for treatment, which is a shame.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back