What to stock with firemouth cichlids

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Captain holt

Reaction score
Hi Iā€™m new to the group!
Just wanted a little bit of advice with what to stock in my 77gallon. Itā€™s 3ft Long by 2ft Wide. Planted with blue stricta and fine black gravel.

I currently have two firemouth cichlids and Iā€™d like to get 1-2 blue Acaras. Anyone have any recommendations on other cichlids I could house with those guys? Additionally Iā€™d like a small clean up crew that wonā€™t get devoured by the other fish.

I wouldnā€™t add any more cichlids to that tank I donā€™t think you have the foot print. Really good volume of water but cichlids need floor space to claim territories, especially things like Firemouths that tend to roam around a lot.

I would concerntrate on adding other types of fish, maybe things like live bearers, rainbow fish, some barbs and danios would do well. There are some catfish that would do well in the harder water but again I'd tempte to let the FMs have the run of the bottom of the tank.

Something like Dwarf Neon Blue Rainbows with Swordtails would look good or one of the rarer livebearers like Skiffia if you can find them.

Wills

I wouldnā€™t add any more cichlids to that tank I donā€™t think you have the foot print. Really good volume of water but cichlids need floor space to claim territories, especially things like Firemouths that tend to roam around a lot.

I would concerntrate on adding other types of fish, maybe things like live bearers, rainbow fish, some barbs and danios would do well. There are some catfish that would do well in the harder water but again I'd tempte to let the FMs have the run of the bottom of the tank.

Something like Dwarf Neon Blue Rainbows with Swordtails would look good or one of the rarer livebearers like Skiffia if you can find them.

Wills

Thank you so much Wills for your informative advice! Rainbows were definitely on my mind for stocking ideas, however, my LFS only stocks Boesemani rainbows and it seems as though theyā€™ll be too big for my tank.
Any ideas on what type of barbs I could use in this tank and how many? I really love the looks of either the cherry barb or the green tiger barb (moss). But if they wonā€™t work than any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you so much Wills for your informative advice! Rainbows were definitely on my mind for stocking ideas, however, my LFS only stocks Boesemani rainbows and it seems as though theyā€™ll be too big for my tank.
Any ideas on what type of barbs I could use in this tank and how many? I really love the looks of either the cherry barb or the green tiger barb (moss). But if they wonā€™t work than any advice would be appreciated!
Cherry barbs will be food. Tiger barbs usually do well with cichlids, giant danios make great dither fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back