What To Say

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Efishent

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I recently talked to someone at my school who said they had 2 goldfish. He said that they were goldfish with a small max size by making a small circle with his fingers. I'd never heard of goldfish like that before, so I think it's obvious what the problem is. His tank is 1 or 2 gallons (confirmed.) Now, it seems pretty obvious that these goldfish aren't going to live for very long if something isn't done, but he doesn't seem to listen to my suggestions and thinks that they are just goldfish that are meant to be small. He said that he just kept them in an "old-fashioned fishbowl." I don't even think this should be legal. Anyway, these guys were named something with junior after their names, implying that his previous goldfish suffered a gruesome fate in the bowl of doom. Unfortunately, it seems that whatever I say won't convince him to get a better tank or pond for these fish or give them to someone who can take care of them. I used to keep a goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, and after realizing how terrible it must have been for him, I want to try to make sure it doesn't happen anymore. My old goldfish had what we think was a swim bladder infection and probably died of it, due to a tank that was not filtered. :C We did water changes by hand, probably stressing out my poor, lonely goldfish. I wish I could go back and do better. But the past is in the past, and I just want to make sure that these goldfish live a long and happy life, which probably won't happen the way things are going. Anyone have advice on what to say to him? I don't think saying "what if you were stuck in a small room for your entire, painful life?" would work. It seems like he would just shrug it off and say how "happy" they were. Failure seems imminent at this point, but I think there is still hope for these fish. Any idea on what to say? 

P.S.; I can't get him a gift of a tank or anything, that would be too much money. I think these are common goldfish, but they might be comet. Just remember, I think if I said these things, he would have responses like this: if I go and say he is being inhumane, he will get mad and there will be no hope. If I tell him that those goldfish will get too big, he will say that they have a small maximum size and are happy. He might argue that he saw a healthy goldfish on the box/label of the bowl. If I tell him I have a better home for them (which I do, I know people with ponds,) he probably will refuse to give them up. I wish it was a crime to do this, but it isn't. I would like some suggestions on what to say so that he lets these goldfish have a good life. 

I guess it depends on whether you want to remain friends with this person. If that isn't a problem then let rip ... give him the animal cruelty rant and there's no such thing as 'just a fish' rant aswell.

If friendship is important then maybe be a bit more gentle.

Alternately you could go down the route of "hey, I've discovered this really great web-site that I think you might like" and give him our address so we can give him the rant on your behalf lol

yeah. let Akasha sort him out
evilmad.gif

Akasha72 said:
I guess it depends on whether you want to remain friends with this person. If that isn't a problem then let rip ... give him the animal cruelty rant and there's no such thing as 'just a fish' rant aswell.

If friendship is important then maybe be a bit more gentle.

Alternately you could go down the route of "hey, I've discovered this really great web-site that I think you might like" and give him our address so we can give him the rant on your behalf lol

Munroco said:
yeah. let Akasha sort him out
evilmad.gif

I love both of these suggestions!!

And random aside just to comment on the ridiculous level of toughness that goldfish have...my aunt kept one in a tiny bowl for like 6 years with maybe weekly water changes...I have no idea how the poor guy made it.

I doubt he would come to the website. He might not even have an email lol. Also, if I gave the animal cruelty rant, he would probably not be my friend anymore and not listen. It's a really difficult situation that is probably hopeless. 

then your best path is to keep talking about your fish and your tank and the things you've learnt here and maybe, just maybe, in the weeks and months to come he'll start asking you questions and maybe that goldfish will get a better life eventually

I have the same problem, except its a teacher at school. The goldfish actually live in the classroom, and there are two of them in a ten-gallon aquarium. I think I'm going to start asking about the fish. When it comes up, what should I tell him is the minimum tank size for two giant goldfish?

Why not just suggest a larger aquarium without being nasty about it? There is no such thing, that I have heard of, as a goldfish that stays small so plenty of room is always a plus. If they are in a typical goldfish bowl why not suggest a 10 or a 20 gallon tank? That way the fish can grow a bit before becoming too crowded and your friend can recognize that his/her fish are really not genetically that small.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back