What To Feed The Pangasius Hypopthalmus Catfish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joel08

Reaction score
Hi all,

What food is suitable to feed the Pangasius Hypophthalmus catfish? I hear they are omnivores and readily take all foods. My friend has them in a 300 litres tank 4-5foot long and they are small 2-3inch juveniles. 

He tried bloodworms and flakes but they have just ignored it. Sometimes they may search the gravel for some food and just take 1 pellet from the handful of pellets on the floor. Its becoming a waste of food. What food do they eat in the wild?

Please help. 

I have an iridescent shark which is in the pangasius family, he tends to be shy and does best feeding at night, I feed him flakes, pellets, bloodworm and cucumber throughout the week, he has been growing lately so things seem good, all the best!

FOOD: Young-live; Brine Shrimp, Tubifex , insect larvae; flakes; pellets. Adults-vegetables; lettuce, spinach, frozen peas; pellets; large flakes.
from http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Pangasius_hypopthalmus.html

and here is what seriously fish states:

Diet
It’s omnivorous, although a juvenile will require a good amount of protein in the diet in order for it to develop and grow at the correct rate. Offer a varied diet consisting of chopped earthworm, bloodworm and dry pelleted foods. As it gets older it will need a greater proportion of vegetable matter and items such as spinach leaves, frozen peas (just drop these straight into the tank), Spirulina-based dry foods and even the occasional slice of fruit can be introduced.
from http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pangasionodon-hypophthalmus/

Also, tell your friend his tank is not large enough.

Unsuitable for all but the very largest tanks. It’s a very active open water species and tends to be skittish when kept in cramped conditions. This can lead to problems with the fish banging into the tank glass and items of decor, often resulting in injury. For even a single specimen to be housed long term a tank measuring at least 15′ x 6′ x 6′ (450cm x 180cm x 180cm) – 14,580 litres would be the minimum needed. Juveniles can of course be grown on in smaller tanks.

Aquarium: A 48" (122 cm) or 55 gallon (209 L) tank is only suitable for young individuals under 6" (15 cm). They grow quickly and need a large open area for swimming. Does best in substantially larger tanks (exceeding 60"). Likes to have morning sunlight. The tank should be well-planted with well-rooted plants. Use a filter that provides a strong current.
from the same seriously fish and mongabay links above.

Hi my friend has tried floating flakes and pellets but the Pangasius ignores them completely I have observed this as well. When you feed the flakes do you need to sink them or how can you train it surface feed?

my friend has said that once it outgrows its tank its going straight to his uncles heated pond so its alright.

Perhaps try some sinking pellets? What brands of food is he using? Has he tried frozen foods?

joel08 said:
my friend has said that once it outgrows its tank its going straight to his uncles heated pond so its alright.
These fish are very prone to stunting though, so it might never outgrow the tank; by the time your friend has noticed it's not growing any more, the damage will have already been done
confused.gif

Hes tried frozen food but they miss it completely by that time its breaks from the strong current and scatters into tiny pieces and never get eaten up.

Sinking pellets are hit and miss sometimes yes sometimes no. I thought these fish eat well to grow the sizes they do.

Anyway stunted growth would be easy to spot within a few months once its stops growing you already noticed its stunted same with all big fish?

What is the best type of Pellet to feed the Pangasius? Shrimp, blood worm, fish meal pellets the best? 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back