FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting 10 Pygmy Corys soon for my 22 gallon tank and I'm wondering what to feed them.

What do you feed yours?

What foods do they love?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Mine liked shrimp pellets, tropical flake pellets, finely chopped bloodworm, and brine shrimp. They started breeding every few weeks on that diet.

I'm pretty sure Pygmy corys have the same needs as most corys. I feed my sterbai frozen brine shrimp/bloodworms every few days. As well as dropping in a hikari sinking wafer every other day or so. Corys in my experience won't eat any veggies besides blanched peas.

Mine actually love a mixed flake that has algae and meat in the ingredients. They also are happy to munch on an algae wafer as well as daphnia and baby brine. The idea is that they like both algae and meat for a balanced diet. They're among my favorite fish. I've got  eight working my way to a dozenas the site gets more in.

Okay, so a good diet for mine would be.....

Flake/Shrimp Pellets
Algae Wafers
Tubifex Worms (?) (seen this recommended on other sites, have you tried any of your on them?)
Blood Worms (Not sure if they'd be too big for the or not?)
Crushed Pea 

Shrimp Pellets would be the main food with an algae wafer once a week or so and tubifex worms/blood worms once a month for each (one or the other every two weeks) and a Crushed Pea about every month. They'd also get fasted for a day each week.

Does this sound good?

Also, off topic but....They'll be with Danio's (Zebra) so would the Pygmy's be alright at a temp of 22-23 Celcius?

corys can do good down to 22.5C so the temps is fine and the diet looks good to me when i had mine they loved bloodworms,  idk about the tubifex worms though never tried it, someone else will have to get to you on that.

Hungry Corys are happy corys.
I feed my main cory tank (see sig) with 2 Cubes of frozen blood worms in the evening every day.
I miss Sundays, and just give them high protein sinking pellets.

Bloodworms are gone in about 30 seconds.  They LOVE them.
Maybe a little over kill on the blood worms, but they are nice and cheap and I am also constantly conditioning my fish for breeding.

yeah corys love bloodworm, its almost like a drug to them lol, just have to make sure you don't overdo it

My pygmies don't really like blood worms. I don't know if it's size or what they sort of take a bit then leave it. They seem to like smaller items like baby brine or especially daphnia. I'll give blood worms a try again and see. They are such tiny fish a blood worm is about as long as they are! :)

I had some mini blood worms in my fridge and just as an experiment I tried them. They ignored them even though they were much smaller. The scarlet badis snatched them up and the chili rasbora liked them but the pygmy cory just ignored them.

Okay, so it's a matter of trialing them :p
I bet the danios will eat anything that they won't ;)

Okay so i don't know if this is a stupid question but is there a process with the crushed peas like freezing them or something or do you just take out a pea and crush it.  I hope to be getting some pygmy corys myself so that's why i'm interested
happy.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back