What to do?!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Ryan_F

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As said already I have a lot of snails. Iā€™m assuming there is definitely ramshorns and ā€œBladder snailsā€ how can I tell if these little guys are carrying parasites? I would meditate it but without proper reason, and that it would probably kill them I havenā€™t yet. I was hoping to add fish like today. But these little dudes are worrying me. I donā€™t want to add fish just into a tank full of parasites. Also I know this is probably a dumb question. But will the snails ā€œgrabā€ onto the fish? I know some otos do. The only thing is if I kill them. Iā€™m pretty sure they are illegal where I live. Not sure how they got there. And Iā€™m not sure I want to know ahah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramhorns are peaceful, if you've got a problem with too many it's due to overfeeding but as you said about adding fish i'm guessing that's not the case, add some cucumber or lettuce into the tank and remove it when you see some snails on it, but honestly... the odd few isn't a problem imo.. they're a good clean up but they do breed like rabbits if you can't control them.

Ramhorns are peaceful, if you've got a problem with too many it's due to overfeeding but as you said about adding fish i'm guessing that's not the case, add some cucumber or lettuce into the tank and remove it when you see some snails on it, but honestly... the odd few isn't a problem imo.. they're a good clean up but they do breed like rabbits if you can't control them.

Iā€™m more worried about the bladder snails. Are they a problem? And parasites arenā€™t a problem?

Snails normally donā€™t carry much disease or parasites. I have pond or bladder snails, Malaysian trumpet snails and ramshorns. One tank is covered in them. They all started by hitch hikers on plants. I have a pond outside so I just clean them out and throw them in the pond. Iā€™ve never had an issue with any of the snails. If they could just stop breeding! Good luck!

Any snail from a pond or waterway that has birds using that waterbody, could be a host to parasites like worms. If you have snails in a separate tank for 6 months and keep fish and birds away from them, the snails with the parasites eventually die and you are left with disease free snails.

The snails act as an intermediate host for certain diseases and if you break the cycle by keeping snails away from fish, you stop the disease.

The most common diseases spread by aquatic snails are intestinal worms like tapeworm and thread/ round worm. You can use most dewormers in the aquarium and they shouldn't affect the snails because deworming medications are quite specific at what they affect, and they normally only kill worms.

-----------------------------
Most fish from pet shops also carry worms so I would buy fish, stock the tank, then treat everything for worms. Then your fish and snails will be clean. If you want anymore fish or snails after that, quarantine them and treat for worms while they are in quarantine.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

Who on earth gets their snails from ponds or waterways?

Lots of aquatic plants sold in pet shops, come from plant farms that have large shallow ponds that are frequented by water birds. Any snails in these ponds can potentially pick up parasites and then transfer them into aquariums if they are on plants, or if the snails are bred in these ponds and sold to shops. The parasites can sometimes hitch a lift on the plants too.

If fish at the pet shop have worms, the snails in the shop tanks can pick up the worms and transfer them into your home aquarium.

If you collect live food like daphnia from natural waterways, they can carry parasites from water birds that swim, eat and poop in the pond.

Tubifex worms are often grown in open ditches and water birds spend time there. The Tubifex can become infected and transfer parasites to fish.

Well, thatā€™s just gross. Most breeders over here breed in tanks. Normally, snails donā€™t pick up fish diseases and parasites. There are a few but highly unlikely. They donā€™t get ich or such things.

Snails and other invertebrates usually transmit worms and flukes. If the snails are in a tank with protozoans like whitespot, the parasites can be transmitted with the snail or in the water (usually the water). But you are correct, snails don't get as many diseases because the disease organisms can't get through the snail's shell.

I have malaysian trumpet, ramshorn, and (I presume) pond snails - all pant hitchhikers. I have never had a problem and I treat chemcal meds like the bubonic plague.

Everything Iā€™ve ever read said they donā€™t carry most fish diseases but perhaps our snails are healthier in the U.S. Who knows! :flex:

Everything Iā€™ve ever read said they donā€™t carry most fish diseases but perhaps our snails are healthier in the U.S. Who knows! :flex:

Weird flex but ok

I would never get my Snails form water ways. They have so much parasites, and other medical problems, I would never put then in a fish tank. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back