What to do with this uneven rimless stand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

visionist

Reaction score
I'm more or less at my wits end with this stand situation. I bought a fluval flex 15g rimless tank and needed a suitable stand. I set out to build one and I've run into an issue, the plywood for the top(which is 3/4 inch thick) has a bit of a bow in the center. I really don't have the equipment or time to attempt to sand it down to be perflectly flat. I've built stands before with no issues, but never for a rimless tank. The tank came with a 3-4mm thick black foam that is fairly squishy
What should I do? The gap from the plywood appears to be around 1-2mm, it's hard to tell quite exactly
Would I be better off chucking some MDF on top of the plywood since MDF is about as flat as it gets?
Would high density(pink) foam solve this? However people say its too rigid for rimless
Should I just burn the tank and the stand and walk into a busy street?

Note: The plywood top has not yet been glued/screwed to the stand

Attachments

• stand1.jpg
    stand1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 112
  • stand2.jpg
    stand2.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 116
If you are having so much trouble (and you have a decent budget) buy a stand for it.

It’s much easier to buy one, than to make one. This one for example:https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...MI_bnws-TS6gIVcyCtBh1rHgR8EAQYASABEgLH3PD_BwE

It looks modern, and smooth.
That stand costs around 160$ Canadian here, unfortunately, and with the feet, it looks that it may be difficult to level on my uneven floor. That and I've already spent the money on building a custom stand, paint is purchased already etc. I've built a stand for my 75 gallon and 55gallon, just never rimless so looking how I might overcome the issue with plywood. Had this been a standard tank the dip in the middle would be no issue :/, might be my last rimless lol.

That stand costs around 160$ Canadian here, unfortunately, and with the feet, it looks that it may be difficult to level on my uneven floor. That and I've already spent the money on building a custom stand, paint is purchased already etc. I've built a stand for my 75 gallon and 55gallon, just never rimless so looking how I might overcome the issue with plywood. Had this been a standard tank the dip in the middle would be no issue :/, might be my last rimless lol.
@Retired Viking made a good point. A metal plate would add a lot of stability. Once you add a strong metal/steel plate, add the foam that came with the tank.

Yes, just put a foam/styrofoam or rubber mat under you tank.
All the fish stores in my country have been using the styrofoams for decades.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back