What to do with this plant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kris2005

Reaction score
Hi y'all, I need some suggestions for aquascaping/ decorating this tank please. I have a plant overtaking the tank. I just removed a lot of it. Should I cut it even farther back? I got the plant in August and it was just one stem then. Can you actually have an overplanted tank? As far as decor should I add anything? Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191211-161020_compress51.jpg
    Screenshot_20191211-161020_compress51.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 165
I wouldn't cut anymore right now, plants are very beneficial and the neons are enjoying them. Overplanted could be where there is not enough room for fish to swim freely. You have a balance of swimming room and plants which is great.

I wouldn't cut anymore right now, plants are very beneficial and the neons are enjoying them. Overplanted could be where there is not enough room for fish to swim freely. You have a balance of swimming room and plants which is great.
Thanks

What is the name of that plant? My neon and amber tetras would love playing in that. That is certainly a fast growing plant.

I think it looks great. Not sure what it's called, but I've seen it before.

You can trim it down if you'd like....but that'd be up to you. I like that look.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

What is the name of that plant? My neon and amber tetras would love playing in that. That is certainly a fast growing plant.
Hi, it's an octopus plant. Not sure of the technical name, but if you look up freshwater octopus plant you will see it. I use flourish comp and flourish excel.

Just a kind word of warning..Be careful with flourish excel it contains a strong disinfectant which can be harmful to your fish. (I wouldnt use it at all) flourish comp will be more than enough to feed your plants. I use flourish comp for my floating plants and root tabs for my substrate plants :)

My personal preference would be to either trim it back substantially or replant the plants in the middle to one side of the tank. While you do kind of have an opening for swimming, I don't think it's big enough. I try to move my plants to the edges of the tank and keep the center of the tank free of plants (unless they are short broadleaf plants for color). This allows A LOT of fish to escape off to the side while the swimmers have a very wide open space to swim, you also have a wider open space to place food and it won't get all tangled up in the vines. I think it's just aesthetically more pleasing as well to have them off to one side, then to have plants just sprouting everywhere. While they may sprout all over in the wild the fish can always swim on and find an area with fewer plants. Most of my plants are floating plants (much loved by my fish) but I keep them all pushed to one side of my tank, leaving about 1/2 covered in thick plantings and the other half open for swimming and feeding. You can also put the plantings on opposite ends and leave the center open - whatever you think looks the best AND is most useful for your fish. I think a large number of fish want an open space to swim quickly as well as a place to hide or sleep at night.

Just a kind word of warning..Be careful with flourish excel it contains a strong disinfectant which can be harmful to your fish. (I wouldnt use it at all) flourish comp will be more than enough to feed your plants. I use flourish comp for my floating plants and root tabs for my substrate plants :)
Thank you, I had no idea about the excel.

My personal preference would be to either trim it back substantially or replant the plants in the middle to one side of the tank. While you do kind of have an opening for swimming, I don't think it's big enough. I try to move my plants to the edges of the tank and keep the center of the tank free of plants (unless they are short broadleaf plants for color). This allows A LOT of fish to escape off to the side while the swimmers have a very wide open space to swim, you also have a wider open space to place food and it won't get all tangled up in the vines. I think it's just aesthetically more pleasing as well to have them off to one side, then to have plants just sprouting everywhere. While they may sprout all over in the wild the fish can always swim on and find an area with fewer plants. Most of my plants are floating plants (much loved by my fish) but I keep them all pushed to one side of my tank, leaving about 1/2 covered in thick plantings and the other half open for swimming and feeding. You can also put the plantings on opposite ends and leave the center open - whatever you think looks the best AND is most useful for your fish. I think a large number of fish want an open space to swim quickly as well as a place to hide or sleep at night.
Thanks I like that idea. I think I will do that. Right now I have platy fry hiding out there. But when they get a little older I will do that.

That is a big difference from what you had, can you use some of what you cut back to float on the surface? Tetras like shade and floating plants, reduces their stress.

I already threw the plants away. But, i can always go get some hornwort to float. My lfs always has a lot and I've used it in other tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back