What to do with bloated male guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
This is what happens when I try to ensure that my otocinclus' get fed.

This piggy (and his four endler friends) gorge themselves and now this guy seems in a pickle. Seems he can't poop.

The only way I can make sure my ottos get fed is to distract the fish with a small piece of algae wafer or a shelled pea (last trickery) and while they go bananas I feed my ottos cooked zucchini at the top by the water flow where they hang out.

But once the piggies have finished their trickery food they still go after the ottos food ....which I don't want to remove because I want the ottos to have enough.

Three days ago this guy ate too much of a pea and then some zucchini and now he appears constipated.

Is he destine to explode or can I help him? I've read Epsom salt bath...has anyone done this with success?
If this is something I should try can someone please give me the exact ratio of salt to water. I've read so many different things. And for how long.

Water parameters are always steady:
Ph: 7.4
Chlorine: 0
Kh: between 40-80
Gh: between 75-150
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
50% water change every Sunday

I fasted them for two days and just fed them this morning. He didn't eat for the first time since I've had him. He's swimming and otherwise acting normal although his swimming seems a tad wobbly but I'm assuming its from his giant belly?!

Sorry for the bad pics but I took last night before bed.

Attachments

• Snapseed.jpg
    Snapseed.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 941
Try a blanched pea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Try a blanched pea

He's already eaten too much pea!

Could you put him in a net while you feed the otos for a few days? Guppies are normally easy to catch.

Sorry I missed that

He's already eaten too much pea!

Could you put him in a net while you feed the otos for a few days? Guppies are normally easy to catch.

I actually caught him and put him in a bowl with his tank water and some Epsom salt while I got ready for work. He seemed very peaceful (I thought it would really stress him).

I kept him in there foe a half hour and put him back in tank.

No poop yet but he seems much livelier?!

Maybe I'll do it again when I'm home if he still looks there same.

He was no better when I got home from work.
I decided to remove him from the tank just incase it's parasites (even though I'm praying it's not).
He's in a bowl (no other tanks) w some Epsom salts. Still no poop

But once the piggies have finished their trickery food they still go after the ottos food ....which I don't want to remove because I want the ottos to have enough.

This is a problem with community tanks, Betta keepers know this all too well, There is nothing I can add to what you are already doing, Hope the little guy poops soon.

I'm a little confused.... there's a lot of fuzzy stuff in his bowl today. No poops (there's a tiny piece of poop in there but it was in the fish net...so it's not his). Any idea what the fuzz is? Can they have diarrhea or vomit?!
His belly is no smaller.
Any ideas?
Oh there are two plant leaves also

Snapseed.jpg

Where was the water taken from? If it's the main tank it could be particles and bits of dirt that had just settled to the bottom, without the aid of a filter the dirt will just sit there.
Or it could be dust etc if the bowl isn't covered....

Where was the water taken from? If it's the main tank it could be particles and bits of dirt that had just settled to the bottom, without the aid of a filter the dirt will just sit there.
Or it could be dust etc if the bowl isn't covered....
ohhhh good point Nic! The water was from the tank! And that's probably exactly what it was.

This will be the third day he's been in this bowl. He's not eating nor potting. I did try to offer him a blanched unshelled pea yesterday just because I was so worried about him starving. He won't do anything but oddly he looks perfectly fine other than the bloated belly.
I feel like a monster for keeping him this way. But I'm scared to death to put him back in the tank in the off chance that he has parasites!

Am I doing the right thing?!? (oh I do change the water daily)

Oh I really hope someone comes by and has some words of advice....
He's finally pooping and his belly is getting smaller...BUT the poo is white and stringy and from what I've read that means internal parasites...?! Right?!

He's been in a hospital bowl for 4 days now with epsom salt (changing water daily...but it gets cold, I try to warm it now and then by putting the bowl in the sink with warm water surrounding it).

Do I try to treat w/medicine?! I feel terrible for keeping him this way.
IMG_3179.JPG

Hey, he does look smaller, that's good.
I had internal parasites a few years ago, white stringy poop and everything. In the end I bought esha NDX and I treated the whole tank, that seemed to work for me. I also backed it up with esha 2000 which treats bacterial infections.
You can try and get your hands on sera nematol if you can't get Esha products.
Also, instead of a shelled pea try feeding him daphnia which works much better, I would put him back in the main tank and treat the whole tank- chances are if he has internal parasites the rest will too.
You won't have to keep on warming his bowl either.

Hey, he does look smaller, that's good.
I had internal parasites a few years ago, white stringy poop and everything. In the end I bought esha NDX and I treated the whole tank, that seemed to work for me. I also backed it up with esha 2000 which treats bacterial infections.
You can try and get your hands on sera nematol if you can't get Esha products.
Also, instead of a shelled pea try feeding him daphnia which works much better, I would put him back in the main tank and treat the whole tank- chances are if he has internal parasites the rest will too.
You won't have to keep on warming his bowl either.
Those are not available to me in the us. I actually started a new thread asking for advice on what to use. Thanks a million for your help!

Those are not available to me in the us. I actually started a new thread asking for advice on what to use. Thanks a million for your help!
Can i have a link to your new thread please?
Ive been following this thread as ive had this problem with a guppy and failed to save him, so im curious on how to treat it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back