What to do with bettas when changing a tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TheTenthDoctor

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I can't figure out what to do with my bettas when I decide to redo my tank. Honestly I have no idea. I will be putting in new soil and all that crap. But what to do with the bettas in the meantime?

Ideas?

I can't figure out what to do with my bettas when I decide to redo my tank. Honestly I have no idea. I will be putting in new soil and all that crap. But what to do with the bettas in the meantime?

Ideas?
Do you just have an empty tank? How long do you plan on keeping them out of the tank? If it’s not that long, you could probably put him in a clean Mason jar. :)

Just put them in a bucket filled with tank water. Have everything ready so you can do it all at once. If it’s going to be a day or so then used a plastic food safe storage container. Clear or opaque is best. Add the filter to that container and the heater. Then, before you transfer the fish, add the filter and heater back to original tank and let it run a few hours. It should carry the cycle back over or catch up quickly.

How many bettas are we talking about? Male or female? How many tanks - a tank each or a divided tank for several males?

Good catch, Essjay! Bettas! You have them together? Hope they’re females. If you leave them together be sure to put all of your plants and decor in with them so they can hide. They will lose their pecking order in the bucket as it will be a new environment. Watch them closely!

Good catch, Essjay! Bettas! You have them together? Hope they’re females. If you leave them together be sure to put all of your plants and decor in with them so they can hide. They will lose their pecking order in the bucket as it will be a new environment. Watch them closely!
I’m pretty sure @WinterSoldier. Only has Male bettas. ;)

It all depends on what you have available. If all you have are clear Mason jars, use that. Just make sure they are clean. If you have Buckets, that would be much preferable. :)

Deanasue and I are a bit concerned that the first posts said bettas, plural, but tank, singular. This implies several bettas in one tank. This is do-able with several females or a few males in a divided tank. That's the reason for the questions.

Whenever a tank s being worked on the fish can be temporarily housed in another container of some sort, preferably with the filter and heater running in that other container. In the case of a divided male betta tank, the bettas must be kept in different containers while the work is being done.

Okay I didn't get notified that anyone had replied to this! Heres the situation. I dirt all my tanks. I have a 10 gallon that needs to be fixed. I have two males. So what I am thinking is I'll set up another take, let it run, and the transfer one betta there, and another betta to my 5 gallon. Then I can recycle the tank and get all the ammonia out of the dirt

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back