What to do, what to do? Overstocking koi pond?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
can you get a truck load of water in to flush out the pond?
any neighbours of family/ friends who can bring some water around to help water change the pond?
Hmmmmmmmm maybe! I would be nervous about changing water parameters though? I know my neighbors wouldn’t be able to do anything to help

Try to test the water asap. if there's ammonia, add some zeolite or Wardleys ammogon (same stuff) to the filter to remove the ammonia.

I'm freaking out and terrified. We've had my uncles fish for about 2 weeks now and we've lost 5 of our fish. Two beautiful platinum ogon, a couple others, and one of our gorgeous gin rin orenji ogons (solid orange with sparkles) is out there on his side. I don't know what to do. We didn't get any duckweed because it snowed. Our well is crap so we can't do water changes
Guess what? He owes you 5 beautiful fish or some money to cover for it... He is in the complete wrong, and owes you.

I wish. He’s not that kind of guy:-(
Bro, first ask nice, then sue. Seriously... Thats why they have have courts and stuff, they have em for people that "arent that kind of guy/girl"

I wish. He’s not that kind of guy:-(
You could ALSO say that you won't do anymore helping for him unless he re-emburses you for those fish. Also say that you are too worried about anymore losses, whether it be be an item, money, or both to help him again.

Bro, first ask nice, then sue. Seriously... Thats why they have have courts and stuff, they have em for people that "arent that kind of guy/girl"
You could ALSO say that you won't do anymore helping for him unless he re-emburses you for those fish. Also say that you are too worried about anymore losses, whether it be be an item, money, or both to help him again.
It's also that some things are more important, like showing love and not destroying relationships. but what's more important? To us, family (even family who doesn't understand fish 😂 ) takes priority. If we really asked him to pay for the lost fish, he would, but we'd never hear the end of it. I'm going out to test the water now.

Last edited:
Just went out and one of his koi is dead. My test kit is frozen in a solid block of ice... I used a test strip and it didn’t show anything out of the ordinary, though I know they aren’t very reliable. Could it be the temps? It’s been really wonky lately?

How did the test kit freeze?
If there is no ice on the pond, then the fish should be ok unless they were recently in warm water. Then the large variation in temperature might have knocked it about.

Just went out and one of his koi is dead. My test kit is frozen in a solid block of ice... I used a test strip and it didn’t show anything out of the ordinary, though I know they aren’t very reliable. Could it be the temps? It’s been really wonky lately?
I'm sorry that your fish and 1 of his died... At the same time, I think his fish dying is a wake up for em

It's also that some things are more important, like showing love and not destroying relationships. Yes, 4 $30 fish adds up to like $120, but what's more important? To us, family (even family who doesn't understand fish 😂 ) takes priority. If we really asked him to pay for the lost fish, he would, but we'd never hear the end of it. I'm going out to test the water now.
Absolutely correct! Its best to save relationships than to do that... But he is still in the wrong no matter what

How did the test kit freeze?
If there is no ice on the pond, then the fish should be ok unless they were recently in warm water. Then the large variation in temperature might have knocked it about.
Cause it was outside. It’s frozen in a block of ice. Do I order a new one, or will it be good when it’s thawed?

Our gorgeous butterfly fin gin rin Shiro Muji named Daisy, butterfly fin chagoi named Dune, and one of my uncles standard fin plain things died today. I think this time it was the cold. The koi who are dying are the smallest ones. I am wondering if they are still recovering from shipping back in late September, then adjusting to the cold? Is that a possibility?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back