What to add next?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

20200915_133700.jpg

Yea, they are peaceful usually but once the males grow up they will fight each other if there isn't enough space. They are a peaceful community fish if you have one or a bonded pair, but once you get more than that the aggression mounts and is magnified if there isn't enough space for multiple territories.

Observations made in the habitat suggest that this species lives in solitude (individual fish alone) apart from reproduction periods (Linke & Staeck, 1994). Single fish are therefore good cichlids for a community aquarium. More than one can be housed if the tank provides sufficient floor space for individual territories. The fish remains in the lower third of the water column, spending most of its time browsing the substrate for bits of food. A male will immediately see the entire tank as "his space," and enforce this on every fish in the tank; not a problem, so long as one realizes it. (credit to Byron)

Rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi in all its colour forms) needs a temperature in the upper 20s C ( at least 80 deg F) which is too warm for the other fish you have. It is not easy to find tank mates which cam cope with the temperature which rams need.

When people talk about peaceful cichlids, they mean peaceful towards other fish not fish of the same species. Rams are territorial, males will fight over territory. And these fish also need to choose their own mates; putting any male and any female in the same tank does not mean they will accept each other.

How one defines terms like "peaceful" can be confusing and misleading, one of the pitfalls of this hobby. Both species of ram are "peaceful" compared to some cichlids, but this is relevant to the natural traits of the individual species. Males of all cichlid species are territorial; the degree to which this plays out depends upon factors such as the species, and then individuals within the species, but also the tank physical space is significant. In a 6-foot long aquarium, two or three males of either ram species might co-exist--or they might not. In a 30-inch long tank, this is almost guaranteed to fail, but again the individual fish and other factors are involved. There is no black and white, but the most responsible approach is to assume the individual fish will behave according to the understood norm for that species, and then provide accordingly.

I'm still rather new to the hobby, but going off your stocking list, maybe consider adding more cleanup crew? I do think you should school up your fish that need buddies too, but - cleanup crews are just neat.

Considering some of your fishies, I'd research some of the bigger cleanup crew options, unless you have plenty of hiding spaces then you could consider smaller fellas like shrimp or oto's (only in an established tank though!).

Snails might also be a safe bet but they like to climb out of the water a bit, so make sure you have a lid and a bit of room for them to do their thing. I believe it was nerite snails (?) that can live in freshwater or salt water, but only reproduce in saltwater.
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but this could be a nice bet if you don't want to risk a snailmageddon.

Like I said though I'm new to the hobby. So this may be really bad advice and I don't realize it yet..

Either way, best of luck with growing your stock!

I'm still rather new to the hobby, but going off your stocking list, maybe consider adding a cleanup crew? I do think you should school up your fish that need buddies too, but - cleanup crews are just neat.

Considering some of your fishies, I'd research some of the bigger cleanup crew options, unless you have plenty of hiding spaces then you could consider smaller fellas like shrimp or oto's (only in an established tank though!).

Snails might also be a safe bet but they like to climb out of the water a bit, so make sure you have a lid and a bit of room for them to do their thing. I believe it was nerite snails (?) that can live in freshwater or salt water, but only reproduce in saltwater.
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but this could be a nice bet if you don't want to risk a snailmageddon.

Either way, best of luck with growing your stock!
Also be careful. Because you have rams, bottom dwellers can be bullied if they get in the face of the rams.

I read up better on them and your right I might have a issue later if males. I'm not too worried though I have few aquarium in storage I can set up if needed. I keep a goid eye on them for now.

Would I be able to add embra tetras? What about red cherry shrimp? I have someone wanting to rehome them...

Which type of glo-fish do you have?

The glo fish and the black skirt tetra are schooling fish, meaning they need to be in groups of the same species. So I would get another five black skirt tetra this time, so the one you have isn't alone.

Then once you've found out which species your glo fish are, get more of the same species so there are at least six of them. They don't all have to be glo fish, but if they're zebra danio glofish for example, a group of six or more normal colours or the glo ones, will be needed. But wait a few weeks before getting more of the second school, to give your filter time to adjust to the increased bioload.
Would it be ok to add red cherry shrimp??

Most reactions

trending

Back