The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SConrad

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Titusville, Florida...WHERE THE SPACE SHUTTLE GOES
Hi,
I bought this new betta bowl that im keeping in the kitchen, no filtration or anything. well i had him in a small tank about the size maybe 1/3 bigger..well there is this white film that forms over the water about twice a day. I have no idea what it is and my fish looks unhealthy while the film is there. what is this stuff and how do i get rid of it for good?
thanks

Get him out of the kitchen IMMEDIATELY. It could be cooking grease that's creating that film.

Spit. The film they use to blow their bubbles with, some just get it all over the surface :dunno: Some don't, it's strange. But it could also be grease if he's near a cooking area,although one of mine lives not too far from the stove and he's never had that problem.

mmmkay, good point if you've had him for awhile! :lol:

I have a few who constantly get film! :sick: I scoop it out and it just reappears like magic :S I'm still going with the spit theory on mine :lol:

:lol: lol
well i just stir it up and it breaks up into little white chunks that look like solid pieces of the film.....ok i just went in there to check it out and the film looks like its coming back. I did a 50% water change last night right after posting i think i will do a 100% and tryi to rinse off the gravel but for some reason i dont think it will work...

is it new gravel that you are using? if so then if its not thoroughly cleaned all the dust fragments will come to the top..even after a bunch of water changes it may still happen. it could also be the type of water conditioner you use. to see whats causing it, you can after a water change use something to cover to top of the bowl..plastic wrap will do with some holes poked in it. if it continues then its likely not something in the air causing the film. HTH

A clean piece of papertoweling carefully laid over the surface and then gently lifter to remove it often takes the (protein?) film off the surface...

ALASKA

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back