What The Heck?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tttnjfttt

I have a point, just don't ask me what it is
Reaction score
my own little world, which is currently in Norther
Earlier today, i watched my opaline gourami suddenly go spastic. He darted around the tank, was jumping, and eventually hit the glass and fell to the bottom, where his spine curved, and he seemed to not be able to get off the bottom of the tank. For a while he could not get up, was breathing extremely heavily, and basically freaking out. I don't have a hospital tank any more, so i fed the other fish to get them to leave the gourami alone, then walked out of the room because I cannot stand to watch a fish die.

After about 15 minutes, I came back, and by some miracle, the gourami has gotten himself upright, and right now is hiding in the corner of a tank, but he is no longer lying on the bottom. He is still breathing heavily, but no where near as bad as what it was earlier.

All the other fish are acting normal, no obvious sign of disease. Tank mates include a clown loach, 3 platties, and a RTBS in a 40 gal tank. I haven't checked water stats, but the tank has been well established for over two years, with minimal problems.

So I have two questions. First is what can I do to help this fish? Second is what could have caused this?

THATS ODD, IM NOT TO SURE WHAT CAUSED YOUR FISH TO DO THIS, BUT BE THANKFUL HE SEEMS OK NOW ALL I CAN SUGGEST IS ADD SOME STRESS COAT IN THERE JUST TO RELAX HIM AND CHILL HIM OUT AND KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON YOUR TANK AND LEVELS FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS!!

His activity seems to be increasing, so that is good. I'm starting to wonder if the RTBS snuck up on him and tried to cause trouble. I know the one I have is a bully, and if I got scared, i know I would take off flying.

I am honestly amazed this fish is alive. If you have ever been fishing, and you know how a fish opens its gills extremely wide when put back in the water after being removed, that is what he was doing. Like 5x's the normal breathing. I thought he was definitely gone.

Update: tonight he started to do the same thing again, very random, odd swimming. I didn't see the RTBS anywhere near him at the time either. I went over and knocked on the glass, and it got him to stop before injuring himself. This is getting wierd.

Thanks for trying.

He just did it again. This time i didn't get up fast enough to knock on the glass, so he hit the glass and is on the bottom again. This is getting freaky. If i can't figure it out soon, I think he may be euthanized, simply because I do not want this spreading to all my other fish. :-(

I look in my history; I can't find anything. The fish TB thing I think is when they are twisted and can't control their swimming. It is very obvious and would not apply here. Neon Tetra Desease gets wiggy, as do fungal itches and perhaps parasite bites. Deliberate head into stuff is a little different though. I have seen Corys when startled dart into things.

Just thinking out loud. I wish I could remember what I read. I am getting old and muddled. :blink:

I'm sorry about the fish. Can you put him in a Betta tank or an acrylic tub?

The betta tank is all i have. I think he will be getting dipped in some anti-parasite meds tonight. I don't want to leave him in something so small, since he is an opaline gourami. (about 5")

I was searching and found this online
Q: The fish look fine, but then suddenly jerk and dart around the tank or pond.

A: Your fish are affected by Parasites.

Do you have PrazilPro by Hikari? I haven't used it, but is reported to be a breakthrough.

I'm glad you found something to give you some guidance . Good job and good guess. Good luck!

I don't have that specific medicine, but i do have General Cure by API. PraziPro's active ingredient is Praziquantel, and General Cure's active ingredients are praziquantenel and metronidazole. The general cure will have a slightly smaller concentration (2 mg/L compared to 2.5 mg/L), but I think it will work.

Since parasites tend to spread like wild fire, i am going to treat everyone, right after doing a water change tonight.

Thanks again for your help sue!

Unfortunately, this story has a sad ending. Tonight in one of his crazy periods, he jumped out of the small hole between the filter and the hood. When I found him, he was not struggling at all, and barely breathing, so I have euthanized him. :rip:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back